BOP – Live set of jazz standards from a Portland, Oregon quartet. This music is straight up with just a little modernist twist, and the band is full of energy. Saxophonist Phil Dwyer in particular kicks butt here.
* * * * | Fo’s Picks: 1, 2, 4, 6
1. 12:20 – starts relaxed, perks up: vigorous sax, loose drums, angular piano chills out, bass takes a stroll
2. 13:57 – uptempo, rolling, Coltrane influence and a slight Latin accent; sax solo burns it up, piano scurries, drum solo in the pocket
3. 11:35 – ballad: tender piano intro, warm bass, pensive piano, yearning sax
4. 8:57 – speedy bop workout: sax flexes and wails; piano digs in deep
5. 9:51 – relaxed swing, the band is really loose: bluesy sax, easygoing piano
6. 15:05 – funky Monk bounce: riffing piano solo, very playful sax, drum solo takes it waaaay down then goes nuts