|Mr. Centipede / Dirty Jokes|
|Add Date:||2009-08-09||Pull Date:||2009-10-11|
|Week Ending:||11 Oct||4 Oct||27 Sep||20 Sep||13 Sep||6 Sep||30 Aug||16 Aug|
|1.||Mar 21, 2010:||Lovable Characters, Stupid Dialogue |
Cheap Plastic Surgery
|4.||Oct 07, 2009:||Total Pops Madness |
Eats Chutes & Paints Leaves
|2.||Oct 18, 2009:||Folktronic |
|5.||Oct 04, 2009:||Folktronic |
|3.||Oct 08, 2009:||Heart of KZSU |
|6.||Oct 03, 2009:||Music Rollercoaster |
I Don't Give A Shit About Colin Ferrell
One-man electropop act out of Australia. Experimental, shoegazey at times, lushly pop at others. Fluxes from fuzzy to noisy to dreamy to just plain weird. Soft-lilt indie vocals can be barely audible, buried under a wall of synth. Dense lyrics. Often very, very pretty. At first listen this can seem forgettable, but I love it. Sounds like, I don’t know, Dan Deacon? The Elephant 6 collective? Fuck it, plenty of great moments here, comparisons be damned.|
Mr. Centipede is Wilfred Brandt. The guy is from DAYTON (allow me my pride), but he blew the states for Australia a few years ago. This record (his fourth) was his master’s project at Sydney College of the Arts. Don’t you wish you were doing something this cool in school.
try: 9, 6, 2, 13 (FCC “Miss Bitchy”)
FCC: 4, 8, 12, 13
1. pretty bells-effect keys & drum machine. this must be what a symphony of wine glasses sounds like. polite strummed guitar and soft vocals about midway in.
*2. starts with plain hooky guitar. warpy vocals at first, & rudder synth. gathers surety & steady beat, maintains distortion throughout.
3. starts low-volume at :02. nice coming-together-of-loops at start. overarching two-note synthy keys. vocals-only solo in middle with live-sounding drums.
4. FCC insistent, driving vocals more prominent. clopping percussion and up-bend guitar.
5. slow. real guitar on this one, and up-slide backing strings. mellow & sweet.
*6. heavy drum machine, electric-guitar-ish synth riff and bold single-note melody on keys, more hard edge. repetitive, but rockin. careful with the title. a “hoot”, perhaps.
7. hollow noisy percussion. going-flat wilting guitar line juxtaposes airy, brassy synth/keys and vox. odd!
8. FCC busy/energetic video game effects (like... bubbles popping?), live electric guitar in chorus. upbeat.
*9. smooth, lush. soaring, sublime melody line. no vocals. drum machine & gorgeous wall of sound give way to solo picked guitar. careful with the title. i recommend “taco ocean”.
10. wall of bells & vibes & claves, dampens a little when vocals kick in.
11. builder instrumental. short, uneventful. dies abruptly.
12. FCC i love this song! noisy, dirty, pushy electropop smoothes out to cool ping-pongy keys and alt-indie vocals. the fact that it’s drowning in FCCs makes me want to weep. violations: “shit / cock / tits / ass” no f-bomb, though.
*13. FCC “bitchy” jangly vibes-n-bells and... a recorder? creamy dreamy pop sound.
14. dead air.
15. crappily-recorded bonus track. straight-ahead, could be drum kit and guitar.