|Last, David Vs. Zulu / Musically Massive|
|Artist:||Last, David Vs. Zulu||Added:||06/2009|
|Add Date:||2009-06-14||Pull Date:||2009-08-16||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||16 Aug||9 Aug||2 Aug||26 Jul||19 Jul||12 Jul||5 Jul||28 Jun|
|1.||Tue, 20 Aug 13:||Sunshine|
Good Day Sunshine! (Full Moon)
|4.||Wed, 13 Feb 13:||Sunshine|
Sunshine . . .in the Afternoon
|2.||Tue, 16 Jul 13:||Sunshine|
Good Day Sunshine
|5.||Wed, 26 Dec 12:||Sunshine|
Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon -- Year-End!
|3.||Tue, 04 Jun 13:||Sunshine|
Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon
|6.||Sun, 29 Jul 12:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
David Last vs. Zulu – Musically Massive|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 6/12/09
Electronic Dancehall/Glitch/Funk collaboration between dancehall vocalist from Chicago and glitch/funk producer from Sydney, remixed in Berlin. The end result is close to European dancehall/dubstep/grime, but possibly because there’s so much creativity and diversity in that part of the world these days. Amazing beats and vocals from the two contendas.
No FCCs detected. I like 6, 8, 13 best, but it’s all great.
1. 3:41 **downtempo beats and piano notes, minimalist dancehall with monotonal vocal harmonizing.
2. 3:42 ****electronics intro, VERY swingy and slithery midtempo dancehall grime. Irresistable!
3. 5:43 **long electronic drums intro, dual vocals, apparently about oversexed dancehall dancing. Fun sound, and gets more fun as it goes along. Just glitchy rhythms for last minute or so.
4. 4:55 ***uptempo complex metallic beats, wild vocals – really all rhythm, crazy stuff.
5. 3:03 ****downtempo groovy swing with singing – almost pop, but electronofunky. Flows right into next track.
6. 2:21 *****big thick sound on this one, lots more than just beats, chimes, grunts, slinky riddim and vocals.
7. 3:26 ****swingy midtempo riddim, doo-wop backing vocals, great sound. Sounds cute and fun, but lyrics are about a wrongful conviction.
8. 4:47 *****downtempo rubber band electronica, rather menacing sound and lyrics, but terrific beat. Amazing vocal, too – a real tour de force, by the time it’s done.
9. 3:42 ***slow “easy action” style, powerful rude bwoy lyrics.
10. 3:49 **downtempo swingy dancehall with bragging sexy lyrics.
11. 5:53 ****midtempo dubsteppy groove with great variety of drum sounds, fun vocals. In fact, HILARIOUS vocals.
12. 3:33 ***big midtempo dubstep with complex syncopation, booty-shaker fa real.
13. 3:49 *****rather relaxed vibe, but one of the coolest beats so far, remix of track 8, which is one of the best tracks already.
14. 5:07 ****electrono funk remix of track 10 with all sort of extra sounds – hard to sit still to this!