|Future Of The Left / Travels With Myself And Another|
|Album:||Travels With Myself And Another||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Future Of The Left||Added:||07/2009|
|Add Date:||2009-08-23||Pull Date:||2009-10-25|
|Week Ending:||25 Oct||18 Oct||4 Oct||27 Sep||20 Sep||13 Sep||6 Sep||30 Aug|
|1.||Dec 30, 2015:||Home on the Range |
The Hope That House Built
|4.||May 11, 2012:||Outrun My Gun |
|2.||Apr 10, 2014:||The Sunset Life |
|5.||Jun 16, 2011:||Fontana Uganda Astoria |
The Hope That House Built
|3.||Apr 27, 2013:||Together, or Close Enough |
|6.||Nov 24, 2010:||the seductardation of the indie minded-a taste of esquire (mouthwash?) |
Stand By Your Manatee
Why does this band kick so much ass? Here’s the follow-up to their 2008 debut Curses -- sadly not as good, but hey, it’s adequately shredding. Bold, scathing, oft-howled male vocals, syncopated drums & ripping guitars. Punk-informed hard rock with a self-mocking isn’t-it-ironic grin. What these guys do in 4/4 astounds me.|
Future of the Left are two-thirds ex-McLusky band members (vocalist Andy “Falco” Falkous & drummer Jack Egglestone) and one-third Kelson Mathias (bass), who used to sing for Jarcrew. Apparently they were called Jarclusky for a while. Welsh band, Geordie accent. You figure it out.
Sounds like: Rage Against the Machine. Queens of the Stone Age. To a lesser extent: Anti-Flag, Against Me!, other screamy pit bands. Would someone please play the shit out of this record?
try: 3, 1, 9, 11
FCC: 5, 7, 12
*1. soft, inconspicuous start. crisp yelled vocals: “i’m an adult!”, epic sprawly wall-of-guitar chorus. who the hell is rick?
2. fast. low, driving rudder bass & fierce electric. a screamy, abrasive rocker.
*3. okay, you know the song, “the ants go marching”? evilly bouncy, ploddy white stripes feel. especially the callbacks.
4. upbeat, comparably tame. quirky 8-bit riff, callback chorus. more melodic vocals. i’m hearing art brut (in the a-file)
5. FCC brutal, hard-edge guitar. off-the-beat, disorienting time signature.
6. fast. more sustained, messy demo sound. fuzzier, less prominent vocals.
7. FCC very RATM. hard & heavy burst-apart synth. rude time signature, guitar & drums on same beats. anthemic chorus.
8. happy, boppy. peppy electric riff. normal time signature!
*9. fun, bright. melody-less yelled vocals & scratchy guitar to start. nice doubled vocals / harmonies in chorus. there are handclaps! this song is about... using plastic forks.
10. irregular riff that sounds like a piano exercise. off-the-beat, loony vocals.
*11. dampered scratchy guitar and high, hopscotchy bass line. it’s pronounced like “bike”. i know, i know. if there’s a joke, i have missed it.
12. FCC acoustic guitar and spoken word intro switches to fun, heavy electric midway in. too bad about the FCC, this is an excellent & uncharacteristic track.