|Groundation / Here I Am|
|Album:||Here I Am||Collection:||Reggae|
|Add Date:||2009-09-13||Pull Date:||2009-11-15||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Nov 15||Nov 8||Nov 1||Oct 25||Oct 18||Oct 11||Oct 4||Sep 27|
|1.||Jun 01, 2019:||Finding YOur Way |
Run The Plan
|4.||Dec 28, 2015:||Happy Hour |
Here I Am
|2.||Jul 31, 2017:||Happy Hour |
You Can Profit
|5.||Mar 31, 2014:||Happy Hour |
|3.||Mar 13, 2017:||Happy Hour |
|6.||Sep 30, 2013:||Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC) |
Here I Am
Groundation – Here I Am|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 9/11/09
Complex, virtuoso jazz/reggae from No.Cal. In addition to the highly distinctive vocals of Kim Pommell, there’s a female vocalists and guests Pablo Moses and the Congos – as well as a bigger, fuller band than their previous (damn good) releases. Lots of fine solos, interesting chord progressions…
No FCCs detected – that said, I have a hard time making out any lyrics.
All tracks truly excellent – I like 4, 6 and 10 best.
1. 7:20 **somewhat uptempo jazz groove with a bit of funk, mostly showcasing keyboards, instrumental for first 2.5 minutes. Suddenly switches to downtempo skank after 2:40. Goes through some changes, impassioned vocals and female backing vocals.
2. 3:31 **slightly downtempo bubble, pleasant roots instrumentation. Includes some keyboard solos, and a bouncy jazzy bit – no simple songs here!
3. 4:35 ***sweet uptempo bubble, unusual female vocals in addition to the usual vocalist.
4. 7:30 ****slow, dramatic intro, then midtempo bubble with nyahbinghi-style chanting. Guest vocals by Pablo Moses. Also falsetto vocals, hint of cuica… Later, some startling deep bass vocals. Amazing stuff…
5. 3:48 ***trumpet flourishes, then downtempo bubble, subdued by still intense.
6. 4:54 ****downtempo bubble with great backing harmonies by the Congos. Includes quite fierce keyboard solo.
7. 5:57 **jazz groove and drums for 40 seconds, then midtempo skank, back to the regular vocalist and female backing vocals, also bit of female lead vocals.
8. 6:45 ***subdued downtempo intro with a bit of vibra-slap, builds slowly into very slow bubble, intense vibe.
9. 3:55 **slow intro with shaker, then midtempo forceful skank.
10. 4:11 ****cool bass and nyahbinghi groove, Congos back for more great harmonies.
11. 4:49 **uptempo, rather funky skank with prominent piano and horns. Instrumental. Very long, dubby fade.
12. 3:22 ***slow, intense vibe. Call for peace and unity in the Middle East… Big, triumphant choruses towards end.
|1.||Run The Plan||7.||Not So Simple|
|2.||Everyone Could Lose||8.||Here I Am|
|3.||So Blind||9.||You Can Profit|
|4.||Time Came||10.||Beating Heart|
|5.||By All Means||11.||Walk Upright|
|6.||Blues Away||12.||Golan To Galilee|