|Turbo Fruits / Echo Kid|
|Artist:||Turbo Fruits||Added:||Oct 2009|
|Label:||Fat Possum Records|
|Add Date:||2009-11-01||Pull Date:||2010-01-03|
|Week Ending:||Jan 3||Dec 27||Dec 20||Dec 13||Nov 22||Nov 15|
|1.||Jan 02, 2010:||New World Disorder |
Mama's Mad Cos I Fried My Brain
|4.||Dec 19, 2009:||Best Disorders of 2009 |
|2.||Dec 27, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Dec 12, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Dec 24, 2009:||Eve of Disorder |
|6.||Nov 21, 2009:||On The Warpath |
Want Some Mo'
Turbo Fruits – Echo Kid|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 10/21/09
Garage rock/punk/pop from Nashville youngsters who seem to be drawing from Nuggets that predate their births by decades. The one-sheet cites Mudhoney and Southern Rock, but I’m hearing 60’s UK, garage, and surf music. The one-sheet also makes a big deal about one of the power trio having been in Be Your Own Pet. I picked this up because there’s a song about me (Ha! Track 8) – imagine my delight in realizing that track 9 is about me, too!
No FCCs detected, but I couldn’t make out a whole helluva lot.
Everything is TOTALLY BITCHEN ASS.
1. 3:01 **motorcycle revving, then hyperspeed garage/punk with falsetto vocals and growling guitar.
2. 2:29 **sweet little choral intro, then goofy uptempo pop with punky guitar. I guess this qualifies as neo-new-wave….
3. 2:45 **”Shakin’ All Over” intro, then hyperspeed 60’s style rock – reminds me of early British Invasion.
4. 3:56 ***midtempo garage pop – great lyrics, “Nuggets” feel.
5. 2:33 **a bit uptempo and reverby – surf music.
6. 2:33 **slightly uptempo 6/8 jangly pop – vocals remind me a bit of T-Rex.
7. 3:02 ***midtempo (at least for these guys), also really sounds like original British Glam Rock. Which, as it happens, I love.
8. 2:49 **guitar intro, hyperspeed garage punk.
9. 4:07 ***60’s beat (think Shangri-Las), downtempo fuzz and psychedelic guitar, turns fast after a minute or so. The epic of the album. I think there may be elements of early Who here.
10. 3:56 ***oh, adorable! It’s the slow dance number! Really only midtempo, but definitely for squeezing your baby tight, and then possibly strangling her. Long, melodramatic ending.
11. 2:29 **jangly as hell guitar, rather uptempo and really in-your-face garage Glam.
12. 4:22 ***uptempo garage rock romp. Ends several seconds early.
|1.||Want Some Mo'||7.||Get Up Get On Down (Tonite)|
|2.||Naked With You||8.||Sadie|
|4.||Mama's Mad Cos I Fried My Brain||10.||My Stupid Heart|
|5.||On The Road||11.||Lotta Lotta Ladies|
|6.||Hold Me||12.||Dear Moses|