|Album:||Pretending To Be An Englishman||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Fuckin' Dj Zdena||Added:||Oct 2009|
|Add Date:||2009-11-22||Pull Date:||2010-01-24|
|Week Ending:||Dec 27||Dec 20||Dec 13||Dec 6||Nov 29|
|1.||Dec 22, 2009:||The Courtesy Flush
Ja Dj Zdena - Hallo! How?
|4.||Dec 09, 2009:||Brownian Motion
Zalutall Dj Zdena - Road Runner
|2.||Dec 16, 2009:||Brownian Motion
Ja Dj Zdena - Batman
|5.||Dec 01, 2009:||Memory Select
Ja Dj Zdena - Batman
|3.||Dec 15, 2009:||The Courtesy Flush
Ja Dj Zdena - Badman
|6.||Nov 28, 2009:||lost and found
Babilonci - Pretendin' To Be An Englishman
Pretending to be an Englishman
Unclassifiable repetitive sample based echo-happy Slusaj goodie. Zdena touches almost every recognizable genre with this disc. The common element is (presumably) Zdena’s stream of conscious, scattershot, indulgent vocal meandering. It’s almost like a big ‘Fuck You’ to music of the late 20th century; he awkwardly appropriates a sound then trashes it by relegating it to sound-bed status while he runs off with a lackadaisical and canyon-echoed half-sung half-spoken victory lap in the form of a spectral, Slavic, less heady Mark E Smith meets the “can you dig it” guy from the Warriors. Come for the beats, stay for the unforgettable and poorly pronounced taglines.
Try: 1, 3, 5, 12
1. Deep, wavy lows & hip hop drums; think Group Home era DJ Premier meets Gorillaz era Dan the Automator. Harmonica eventually gives way to oddly synthetic guitar solo. Built around a surefire panty-dropper: “My woman – let me be your Englishman!”
2. Funkier rap-esque track.
3. Big on the echoes this time. Looped drums & guitar crunch. Lethargic delirium inducing repetition. “I am your superman!”
4. Closer to punk. His first of a couple ostensible “Roadrunner” covers.
5. Fast synth arpeggio. Sounds like Holy Fuck using a drum machine.
6. A Salt n Pepa remix for a brazilian nightclub where druglords and soccer stars are competing for assorted future sports illustrated models.
7. FCC – ‘Mothafucka’ Mysoginistic sex lyrics Un-echoed Zdena tries an awkward impression of Johnny Rotten doing Jonathan Richman (bad accent and all). Backed by a pretty standard fare 90s rock track.
8. Fast, dark techno. Another “Roadrunner” cover.
9. This one goes everywhere – from south asian bubble drums to invisbl scratch picklz esque high-tone wobbles to chopped and destroyed pop.
11. FCC –‘fuck’ is all over the place. Straightforward (on the heavy side) rock and roll. Akin to #7. “Hey man…fuuuuuuckk you”
12. slow, low key blues chat. Zdena finds himself in a conversation with some bluesman.
13. low-fi, high mic, no echo, one unintelligible line repeated over and over.