|Fat Freddy's Drop / Dr. Boondigga & The Big Bw|
|Album:||Dr. Boondigga & The Big Bw||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Fat Freddy's Drop||Added:||Oct 2009|
|Add Date:||2009-10-25||Pull Date:||2009-12-27||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Dec 27||Dec 20||Dec 13||Nov 29||Nov 22||Nov 15||Nov 8||Nov 1|
|1.||Apr 10, 2017:||Happy Hour |
|4.||Nov 09, 2015:||Happy Hour |
|2.||Jan 04, 2016:||Happy Hour |
|5.||Sep 30, 2013:||Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC) |
|3.||Dec 28, 2015:||Happy Hour |
|6.||Apr 29, 2013:||Happy Hour |
Fat Freddys Drop – Dr. Boondigga & the Big BW|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 10/21/09
Jazzy funky dubby reggae from New Zealand. The vocals are a bit smooth-jazz/modern R&B for my tastes, but they ain’t killing me. Everything seems to be very “relaxed” – my mind keeps wandering as I’m listening, I’m afraid. The musicianship is solid, though. Songs are nice and long, so you can run put money in the meter.
I didn’t hear any FCCs. I like 6-8 best.
1. 6:12 *electronic squeeples and echoes for 15 seconds, then midtempo jazz-dub with handclaps. Super coffee-house hipster cool..
2. 10:34 ***funky repeated guitar riff, very gradual build to jungle dub. Funky, with jungle beat – and yet somehow seems rather relaxed. Until it goes all ska in the last few minutes. Huh! How’d that happen?
3. 5:58 **chill & funky – a hint of Sly & the Family Stone’s “Family Affair”.
4. 7:11 ***midtempo dub bubble, mixed with very chill, beatless singing.
5. 5:14 ***jazzy uptempo bubble – long intro, but gets pretty groovy thereafter.
6. 9:36 ****slow super-funky one-drop. Nice. Seems to get more relaxed as it goes. Some guest female vocals – very soulful. Switches up halfway through and gets much more lively and funky.
7. 8:39 *****slow boobles and squoops, gradually merging into slow funk groove. Goes from electronic to roots, as much Memphis as Jamaica. Whatever it is, it sounds real good. A bit of hip hop vocals. Suddenly goes second line on us! Nuts!
8. 6:55 ****electronic beats, building into slow shuffle, almost menacing
9. 8:50 electronic chords for 2.5 minutes, then extremely sweet vocals and chords that hint at Reggae… Here comes a beat! Oh boy oh boy! 3.5 minutes along, we suddenly have a groovy midtempo skank with horn section…
|1.||Big Bw||5.||Pull The Catch|
|4.||The Raft||8.||Wild Wind|