|Breakestra / Dusk Till Dawn|
|Album:||Dusk Till Dawn||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2009-11-15||Pull Date:||2010-01-17|
|Week Ending:||17 Jan||10 Jan||3 Jan||27 Dec||20 Dec||13 Dec||6 Dec||22 Nov|
|1.||Thu, 06 Oct 11:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|4.||Fri, 01 Apr 11:||tony echo*|
|2.||Sat, 16 Jul 11:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|5.||Fri, 14 Jan 11:||tony echo*|
|3.||Tue, 07 Jun 11:||winston|
|6.||Thu, 06 Jan 11:||Sunshine|
Morning Glory (Hallelujah!)
Breakestra – Dusk til Dawn|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 11/2/09
Funky, FUNKY party soul from LA. Apparently started in an attempt to recreate, with full band, the great old stuff being sampled on the golden era hip hop tracks. Whatever angle you tackle the funk from, it don’t matter if you do it with your heart and soul, and that’s unquestionably here. Seriously killer – and seriously fun.
FCCs? There may be a fleeting “shit” on track 10, but it’s hard to tell.
It’s all GREAT – I like 6, 10, and 12 the most.
1. 5:16 ***big horn flourishes, midtempo funky strut. Second line drum riff, falsetto vocals and a bit of psychedelic guitar solo. Ain’t nothin’ but a party, y’all!
2. 6:08 **bongos intro, then bass and flute – a bit of Isaac Hayes feel. Gruff vocals.
3. 4:26 ****super funky strut, fine female vocals. Just as tasty as makes no never mind. Great toy piano solo.
4. 2:54 ***midtempo bass-led crawl with farfisa. Instrumental – wish it was longer, that’s all!
5. 3:12 ***uptempo booty-shaker, sweet tenor vocals.
6. 4:54 *****fuzz guitar psychedelic soul - Cloud Nine here we come! Wild coarse vocals – and a bass solo, too!
7. 5:01 ****from fuzz to wah-wah – super funky, super cool. Wow, and violin? New and refreshing!
8. 2:51 **the violin is back, and falsetto vocals – interesting combination.
9. 5:51 ****uptempo funky mashed potato chicken with the coarse vocals.
10. 5:21 *****uptempo funky hip hop with DJ Dusk and Chali 2na (yay!) on vocals. So good!
11. 5:03 ***low-key bass and hi-hat intro, then slinky midtempo farfisa highlife instrumental with smatterings of fuzz and psychedelia.
12. 6:41 ******FUN-KAY, too many cool elements to list. Crazy cool! (Kevvy-Kev’s been playing the 12” almost every show for the past two months… OK then.)
13. 5:36 ****Makossa! That’s all I’m sayin’.
14. 5:28 ***chicken pickin guitar intro, then cool instrumental wiggle with some sweet piano (and rather inexplicable strings).
15. 4:34 ***relaxed, groovy funky soul. You can totally pick up babes to this one. Aggressive electric guitar solo midway through.