|Princeton / Cocoon Of Love|
|Album:||Cocoon Of Love||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2009-11-15||Pull Date:||2010-01-17|
|Week Ending:||Jan 17||Jan 10||Dec 27||Dec 13||Dec 6||Nov 29||Nov 22|
|1.||Mar 02, 2013:||alles 2.0 |
Korean War Memorial
|4.||Jun 23, 2011:||Crailslide |
|2.||Feb 10, 2012:||InAcrossAwayFromMe |
Sadie & Andy
|5.||Nov 24, 2010:||Tweeee Timeeee |
Shout It Out
|3.||Oct 25, 2011:||monsieur psychosis |
I Left My Love In Nagasaki
|6.||Oct 27, 2010:||Twwweeee Timeeee |
Show Some Love, When Your Man Gets Home
Feel good light-touch indie pop with a tinge of twee. I’m tempted to call this stuff “college pop” -- bored but dreamy, sunshiny but melancholy, young but legal, totally relaxed. Song prompts to the effect of “What I did on my summer... abroad... in Cambridge”. Good stuff to play on your seaside villa balcony -- French doors, white curtains, Camus paperback in lap, etc...|
Obvious comparison award goes to Vampire Weekend. (Apparently the “Princeton” name comes from the street in Santa Monica where the boyos grew up, not the Ivy, but honestly, either fits.) College-age band, twin brothers + others on semi-ironic bassy crooner vocals. Very produced. Quite a bit of orchestration on all tracks -- strings, bells, brass, etc, and lots of reverb. Dream pop elements, but their fast (read: bouncy) songs are the winners.
try: 2, 9, 7, 4
1. starts orchestral, turns into a 50s jukebox midtempo crooner. tradeoff male/female verses. cute, relaxed and boppy. where’s my poodle skirt?
*2. slow at first. soft bellsy intro + solo vocals --> draggy brass-accented 6/8. midway, morphs into bouncy cute as fuck bells-on pop song. worth it.
3. vampire weekend to the max. sounds like what the title suggests -- upbeat island pop, scattered busy drums, strings + bells, low-tone vocals. full volume at :11.
*4. clappy drums + bloopy keys. dreamy, airy, fuzzy, pleasant, with somewhat dejected lyrics. dampered drums. soothing, murky vocals.
5. slow, sparse to start. bells + effects + near-solo vocals. flute-like keys. very chill.
6. bells + effects to start. hazy midpaced indie/dream pop. harder vocals.
*7. uptempo, fun. approaches bounce-dom, but isn’t quite that fast. quick-strum guitar and big east violin. handclap drums. i like the vocal runs.
8. spoken girl vox lyrics over solo guitar + chirping background. segues into strings, tambourine & “ooh ooh”s, then piano.
*9. a bouncer! uptempo, quick strums + drums. reverby choruses, crisp verses. there’s even a jangly guitar solo. cute!
10. kicks off like “ordinary world”. seriously! jangle guitar. light, airy dream pop.
11. sleepy waltz. solo acoustic + vocals. sounds like the first cut on sea wolf’s “leaves in the river”.
|1.||Sadie & Andy||6.||Martina And Clive Krantz|
|2.||Show Some Love, When Your Man Gets Home||7.||Shout It Out|
|4.||Korean War Memorial||9.||I Left My Love In Nagasaki|
|5.||Stunner Shades In Heaven||10.||Worried Head|