|Blue Scholars / Oof|
|Label:||Duck Down Records|
|Add Date:||2009-12-13||Pull Date:||2010-02-14||Charts:||Hip-Hop|
|Week Ending:||7 Feb||24 Jan||17 Jan||10 Jan||3 Jan||20 Dec|
|1.||Apr 10, 2017:||Happy Hour |
|4.||Dec 06, 2012:||Happy Hour |
|2.||Jan 04, 2016:||Happy Hour |
|5.||Aug 20, 2012:||Happy Hour |
|3.||Nov 09, 2015:||Happy Hour |
|6.||Oct 06, 2011:||Happy Hour |
Blue Scholars – OOF|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 11/17/09
“Alternative” Hip Hop – fun percussion and electronics riddims, solid raps. One member of the duo is from Hawaii, which is played up, here, but they’re Seattle-based. Disk 1 is riddims with raps, Disk 2 is the instrumentals. Unfortunately, virtually none of the tracks with vocals can be played outside Safe Harbor. The instrumentals sound a lot sweeter without the vocals…
FCCs: every track on CD 1 has at least 1 FCC, although track 1 is such a quick and subtle “shit” that I’m still not 100% sure that’s really what it is…
CD 1 (vocals):
1. 2:22 **grunty percussion & bass riddim, rhythmic rap. Last 40 seconds involve airy electronic squeebles.
2. 3:39 FCC: “shit” repeated in the chorus ***goofy little voice repeating “808”, then whumps and organ chords, Hawaii reality rap.
3. 2:42 FCC: “shit and piss” a couple of times, “fucked” **downtempo drum kit hip hop skank, fun riddim, rap sounds a bit like Gorillaz.
4. 3:27 FCC: “shit” x1, fleeting **electronics, big beats and sweet chords. A bit of vocal chorus, sort of pop – think “Hard Knock Life”.
5. 2:42 FCC: “fuck” x2 very clearly, “shit” ***downtempo percussion and bass with relaxed keyboards. Really nice lyrics, apart from the FCCs.
6. 4:04 FCC: fuckin’ once. ***very poppy little relaxed skank – sweet and fun. Fun rap, apart from the single FCC (dammit!). Ends 8 seconds shy.
CD 2 (instrumental):
1. 2:22 **minimalist lopassed percussion and grunty keyboards. Groovy.
2. 3:40 ***goofy little voice repeating “808”, drums, booms and keyboards, midtempo and fairly aggressive.
3. 2:37 **downtempo drum kit and twinky guitar skank. Bits of bass and “ay-oh” vocals in the background.
4. 3:28 **mellow midtempo electronic pop with various percussion and tweedly synch.
5. 2:43 **downtempo synth chords, swingy beat, cute little grunts and funky doodles. Mellow.
6. 4:01 ***positively adorable little midtempo skank – like a rasta merry-go-round ride.
|1.||Bananas||7.||Ahi (Bananas Instrumental)|
|2.||Hi-808||8.||Hi (Hi-808 Instrumental)|
|3.||Coo?||9.||Lucky Chances (Coo? Instrumental)|
|4.||New People||10.||Tako (New People Instrumental)|
|5.||Hello||11.||Postal (Hello Instrumental)|
|6.||Cruz||12.||Havva (Cruz Instrumental)|