GEMMA REY -LIGHTS OUT ZOLTAR!
as reviewed by mr. esq.
neo gothic/noir pop. heavy 60's girl group pop.
bits of country, surf, rockabilly.
with heavy orchestration, ala cave/waits.
but w/ chan/donnelly singing. love it.
(and i still can't believe this hasn't been reviewed yet!
i've already heard it on Kentucky. Fried. Jesus. Christ.
and rhymes w/ALEX. c'mon kids: don't you wanna be as cool as Kentucky. Fried. Jesus. Christ. ? or even rhymes w/ALEX ?...)
*1. jingle jangle pop. feel like i oughta be at a tiki bar.
searching stuff. lushy vox.
2. dreamy stuff. like a twisted 60's pop song.
*3. very poppy. french pop sound. chan vox.
*4. BEST SONG: beach boys vs. abba vs. lush vs. mbv=perf pop!
*5. surf git&country. funny story. sounds like it could be a rejoinder to nick cave's 'murder balleds' album.
6. cooey stuff. same ol' death roll. ala cave.
*7. the mood of this is... kittens creeping on a fence. carrying little butcher knives. and wearing little masks.
8. this bores me.
9. chan vox. this is pretty good. pretty damn good.
10. haunty. sing-songy. very british shit. chimy.
11. lovely. and it's only as scary as those aforementioned kittens with little butcher knives and masks.
*12. ALMOST BEST SONG: total girl group gem.