|Sizzla / Crucial Times|
|Label:||Greensleeves Records Ltd.|
|Add Date:||2010-01-31||Pull Date:||2010-04-04||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||28 Mar||21 Mar||14 Mar||28 Feb||21 Feb||14 Feb||7 Feb|
|1.||Sep 04, 2010:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Mar 25, 2010:||Abra's Airwaves |
|2.||Jul 15, 2010:||Abra's Airwaves |
|5.||Mar 24, 2010:||Quasi Music Therapy f. Vlad the Impaler |
|3.||Mar 25, 2010:||New World Disorder |
|6.||Mar 18, 2010:||New World Disorder |
Get Rid Ah Dem
Sizzla Kalonji – Crucial Times|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 1/25/10
Roots and dancehall riddims with Sizzla’s totally nutted vocal stylings. Previously unreleased (?) tracks from the 15 year + association between Sizzla and producer Homer Harris, who gave him his name.
No FCCs detected, although it would be a bit hard to tell if there were any… I like track 1 and the last four tracks best.
1. 4:07 ****sweet and swingy roots skank with ultra pretty female backing vocals, all of which makes Sizzla’s crazed screeching stand out that much better.
2. 3:34 ***relaxed skank with beeps and whoops, live up right lyrics.
3. 4:00 **relaxed midtempo skank with a bit of disarmingly sweet vocals, but don’t be fooled. Downbeat and not at all mad.
4. 3:55 ***upbeat roots bubble, positivity message.
5. 3:35 downtempo “R&B” groove, love song. Ugh.
6. 3:57 *swingy midtempo dancehall – there’s something amusing about the “jolly good time” stuff. I much prefer Sizzla when he’s off on a rant, though.
7. 3:46 **bouncy electronic dancehall bubble.
8. 4:18 ***opens with rant, then downtempo roots skank with nyahbinghi flavor, rather lovely singing (!) from Sizzla.
9. 6:01 ***mellow electronic dancehall with a hidden urgency and hints of bluesy guitar, lost of ranting. Inexplicably switches to mellow, beatless acoustic guitar for last minute+.
10. 4:20 ****electronic beat, but a funky (downtempo) one. Pure ranting from Sizzla.
11. 4:05 ****ah, this is what we want from Mr. Kalonji – midtempo, aggressive electronic dancehall and crazed ranting. So much ranting that he’s gasping for breath.
12. 3:41 ****bit of rant, then midtempo bouncy dancehall with syndrum, upbeat and positive ranting.
13. 4:01 ****bit of thanks and praise, then more swingy midtempo dancehall with syndrum, both sweet and crazy vocals.
|1.||Precious Gift||7.||Rat Race|
|2.||Crucial Time||8.||There's No Pain|
|3.||Take A Stand||9.||Sufferation And Poverty|
|4.||Agriculture And Education||10.||Foundation|
|6.||Jolly Good Time||12.||Progress|
|13.||Get Rid Ah Dem|