|Galactic / Ya-Ka-May|
|Label:||Anti- / Epitaph|
|Add Date:||2010-02-21||Pull Date:||2010-04-25|
|Week Ending:||25 Apr||18 Apr||11 Apr||4 Apr||28 Mar||21 Mar||14 Mar||7 Mar|
|1.||Sep 20, 2022:||Zootopia |
Krewe D'etat, Krewe D'etat
|4.||Jun 18, 2019:||That's not Bluegrass |
You Don't Know Feat. Glen David Andrews
|2.||Feb 09, 2020:||DAY OF NOISE 2020 Supplement w the Shiney One |
Heart Of Steel Feat. Irma Thomas
|5.||Jan 16, 2019:||Goggles Optional |
Boe Money Feat. Rebirth Brass Band
|3.||Oct 14, 2019:||Happy Hour |
Dark Water Feat. John Boutte
|6.||Nov 12, 2018:||Happy Hour |
Liquor Pang Feat. Josh Cohen & Scully
Galactic – Ya-Ka-May|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 2/10/10
Fantastic, super-funky New Orleans “Bounce” Hip Hop with guest artists from back in the day to now. Proves that Nawlins doesn’t have to rely on its standard musical forms – but is more than happy to incorporate them into whatever killer new ideas it’s coming up with today, and it’s come up with a monster with it’s one “Bounce” style of Hip Hop. Awesome!
Multiple FCCs on tracks 10 and 15. I like 3, 5, 7, 13 best.
1. 1:17 *midtempo scratch and funk with announcement about neural talent transfer. Sounds a bit like Jimmy Stewart.
2. 3:16 ***big syncopated march with a Latin tinge. Party!
3. 3:24 ****midtempo hip hop bounce, chanting. Funky and upbeat.
4. 3:28 ***downtempo afro-funky beat with claps – and Irma Thomas!
5. 2:08 ****midtempo monotonal electronic funk with sick funky vocals by Big Chief Bo Dollis.
6. 2:54 ***jelly roll piano meets new breed hip hop, with pulsing double-time back beat. After a minute switches to pure funk. Oh yeah!
7. 3:01 *****nuts! Second line beat with completely crazed hip hop vocals.
8. 3:15 ***electronic bass, a bit of second line groove, great horns.
9. 3:11 ***downtempo forceful blues strut with a modern twist, female vocals.
10. 2:31 FCCs – “hey muthafucka” repeated at intro and near end. Midtempo electronic funky hip hop with rather crazed vocals and pulsing electronics.
11. 3:23 ***electronics and downtempo drum line, bluesy vocals.
12. 0:34 half a minute of funky electronic instrumental.
13. 4:04 *****big horns, big roared blues vocals, funk wah-wah guitar, midtempo march with plenty of syncopation. This KILLS.
14. 3:51 **odd, horror-movie electronics and blues vocals/guitar. Downtempo, deeply bluesy, but with fractured funky/clubby beat.
15. 1:08 FCCs – same as track 10 only more of them. Great beat, though.