|Various Artists / Shantel: Bucovina Club, Vol. 2|
|Add Date:||2010-02-21|| ||Pull Date:||2010-04-25|| ||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||25 Apr||18 Apr||11 Apr||4 Apr||28 Mar||21 Mar||7 Mar||28 Feb|
Shantel – Bucovina Club Vol. 2|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 2/18/10
Updated and upbeat Gypsy brass meets modern club, collected and remixed by popular Eastern European performer/producer/DJ Shantel. Highlights the sheer exuberant lust for life inherent in Gypsy music.
FCCs? Nothing in English… I like 5, 8, 15 best (all are terrific).
1. 0:51 long low chords, bits of exotic plinging in second half.
2. 4:05 **belly dance hand drums and tubas. Rashid Taha fans will recognize this classic tune, but it’s got the Eastern European thing going.
3. 4:11 **plinky guitar intro, a bit of Latin percussion, a bit of club beat. Latin horns – we’re in a bar in Trinidad with a bunch of Bulgarian ex-pats.
4. 3:56 ***electronic chords, female vocals, terrible passion from deep under a lake or something… After almost 1.5 minutes, the Gypsy brass breaks out with a vengeance. Oompah!
5. 2:49 ****nutty sounds, manic tempo, hups, cartoon-style horns, fine Gypsy vocals. (Apparently from a comic gangster movie)
6. 4:19 ***sounds like banjos, along with the usual blatty horns. Now there’s ska vocalizations… upbeat but not manic, just fun. Basically instrumental.
7. 4:10 **vocals sound a bit Arabic, brass sounds Gypsy, all upbeat and celebratory.
8. 5:54 *****handclaps, close female harmonies. Midtempo loping beat with brass and whoops. Really nice horns on this one. Long outro with claps.
9. 3:05 **sweet, swingy uptempo brass, joined by a bit of a belly dance beat. Instrumental.
10. 4:00 **dramatic female vocal intro, music starts slow and quickly winds up to manic speed. Then it starts over. Made for drinking. Ends with some creaking noises?
11. 2:43 ***spoken male intro, then very manly harmonies, more speeding up of music Then more spoken interchange and general drunken behavior. OPA!
12. 2:54 ***upbeat gypsy brass instrumental. O-PA! Yippee! Great vocalizations.
13. 4:23 ***wonderfully spirited gypsy brass and male vocals – also on the Fanfare Ciocarlia CD.
14. 3:17 **swingy, relaxed groove with accordion. Rather Old-World romantic-y.
15. 4:32 *****relaxed reggae beat with a fine bass line and gorgeous Eastern-style female vocals. Nice!
16. 3:33 ***emotional male gypsy vocals and brass, bit of percussion, then fun midtempo dance. Gitchy gitchy!