|Gorillaz / Plastic Beach|
|Label:||Virgin Records America (Ny)|
|Add Date:||2010-03-28||Pull Date:||2010-05-30|
|Week Ending:||30 May||23 May||16 May||9 May||2 May||25 Apr||18 Apr||11 Apr|
|1.||Feb 11, 2022:||Everything in Particular |
|4.||Nov 12, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler |
On Melancholy Hill
|2.||Jan 21, 2022:||Everything in Particular |
|5.||Mar 04, 2020:||soft boiled |
Some Kind Of Nature
|3.||Nov 17, 2021:||KZSU Time Traveler (rebroadcast from Nov 12, 2021) |
On Melancholy Hill
|6.||Jan 21, 2019:||Wild Kingdom |
Imaginary animated dub/hip-hip/electronic/Brit-pop band from mind of Blur frontman Damon Albarn. The sounds are pretty sharp on here, I mean more high-pitched, building and layered than other Gorillaz--not as laid-back. Warning: playing an animated band on the radio may be like playing Tv On The Radio on the radio. [Text in brackets taken from anonymous comments on songlyrics.com.] |
1. Orchestral intro
2. Theme for the world of Plastic Beach. Snoop's more of a voiceover on here than a rapper. great as a theme, wouldn't hold it up by itself.
**3. idyllic flutes and strings. then an electronic beat and some utopian grime lyrics before the strings come back nice esp. if you like grime cause I don't even [I love the fact that gorillaz used other country's instruments in their song.]
****4. funky electro-pop; Albarn solo; most reminds me of the earlier stuff. [I think he is talking to commercialization when he says "im a scary gargoyle on a tower, that you made with plastic power". They promise happiness by simply buying products but it seems unattainable still, hence "your rhinestone eyes are like factories far away".]
5. the single: a little Mos Def, some very deep raspy guest vox, Albarn: "electric is the law", a motif like you just entered the enemy base in an RPG
**6. sound bites from commercial; tight De La Soul raps about Neptune, god of the water
7. mellow song that gets busy at the end but only instrumentally. fem vox at the end
***8. nice! drum machine and high-pitched sound made by Allah-knows-what being stretched and kicked in the guts for four minutes
9. features Lou Reed, who, as far as I gather from <noise>, is a big deal. sounds his age, and laid back in a cool way. The song itself is a bit dizzy
**10. disco beat with flutes. [I'm in a relationship held together by wistfulness, so it really fits. It just captures the emotion so perfectly.]
11. breakup song... drum machine, casios. references 6.
12. FCC: fuckin' and motherfuckin'. weird staccato raps from Mos Def, Brass Ensemble enter incongruously in middle. [about how special it feels to win, even without mention of a prize. the prize in the end is garbage, winning is what we all want.]
***13. cool 40-sec intro with a buzz and light guitar picking. beat mainly a sparkly set of tones from a synth. chorus: "It's a casio on a plastic beach/it's sorta made o'computer speech/it's a casio" And to end it, a casio solo! [its kinda like nintendo 8bit sound with acid lol]
**14. do wop homage: albarn exchanges lyrics with female Little Dragon. Sweet.
15. strings and rising electones. guest vox with easy rhymes
**16. cool, brassy synths and basser ones too. nice way to go out.