|Rag Time Skedaddlers / Rag Time Skedaddlers|
|Album:||Rag Time Skedaddlers||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Rag Time Skedaddlers||Added:||03/2010|
|Add Date:||2010-05-30||Pull Date:||2010-08-01|
|Week Ending:||1 Aug||11 Jul||4 Jul||27 Jun||13 Jun||6 Jun|
|1.||Mar 02, 2013:||Music Casserole |
|4.||Jul 08, 2010:||Elite Syncopations |
Dixie Twilight, Ma Ragtime Baby
|2.||Jul 30, 2010:||The Songsmith Show |
|5.||Jul 01, 2010:||Elite Syncopations |
|3.||Jul 08, 2010:||Abra's Airwaves |
Maple Leaf Rag, Bowery Buck
|6.||Jun 25, 2010:||Elite Syncopations |
Bowery Buck, The Entertainer
Rag Time Skedaddlers / Rag Time Skedaddlers|
Reviewed by Mason Smith
San Francisco string-band (plucked not bowed) playing classic rags from the turn of the 20th century, in original arrangments from the ragtime era. Quieter and prettier than it would be on the piano, and played at a relaxed pace, but it can still swing. I was dancing anyway. Generally summery and carefree; at its best wonderfully witty and irrepressibly happy.
FCC clean (no vocals). Recommend 3, 1, 9, 10, 14.
1. **** Weird whimsical premature ending in 1st theme; nice contrasting spooky minor key 4th theme; all the rest is gay tunefulness.
2. ** Simpler more laid-back delicate tune
3. ***** Complicated yet very catchy, all kinds of little rhythmic and harmonic kinks keep it interesting. Really good groove.
4. *** More old world (Godfather-ish?) feel, minor key 1st theme, less syncopation.
5. *** The biggest ragtime hit, a total classic but overfamiliar for me. This version sounds relatively laid back.
6. *** Another Old-World-ish minor key march with less syncopation, relatively simple. Nice chord progressions towards end.
7. ** Simpler less-syncopated march.
8. ** Another simple march.
9. **** The widely-known ragtime hit, given a delicate laid-back treatment that brings out the beauty of the melody. Quietly rocks. Chiming chords sound better on strings than on piano.
10. **** Quieter but still swinging, engaging chord progressions.
11. * Really hackneyed, not much going on here.
12. *** Gently swaying waltz. Interesting 3/4 rhythms. Cool disorienting beginning not starting in the main key.
13. *** Simple harmonic form but a nice variety of rhythms.
14. **** Neat chord patterns, unexpected rhythms, varied arrangements keep it interesting.
15. *** Melancholy minor key undercut by fun fluorishes; nice contasts with major key sections.