|Grupo Fantasma / El Existential|
|Label:||National Geographic Music|
|Add Date:||2010-06-06||Pull Date:||2010-08-08||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||8 Aug||1 Aug||25 Jul||18 Jul||11 Jul||4 Jul||27 Jun||20 Jun|
|1.||Sat, 07 Jul 12:||ETN|
|4.||Sat, 25 Sep 10:||Eme O|
|2.||Sat, 01 Jan 11:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|5.||Tue, 14 Sep 10:||Abra|
|3.||Tue, 28 Dec 10:||Uncle Steve|
The Musical Mystery Box o'Fun (Best of 2010-Part 2)
|6.||Sat, 07 Aug 10:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
Latin mashup music by a collective out of Austin – lots of Cumbia and Afro-Cuban, but also funk and psychedelic bits, even something almost metal. All of it very, very good – musicianship impeccable and musical combinations ear-perking.|
No FCCs detected – all in Spanish. I like 5 and 11 best.
1. 4:17 **funky midtempo beat, a bit of whammy-bar, and infectious Latin hip shaker.
2. 4:17 ***cumbia! A bit downtempo, slinky and tasty as hell.
3. 4:07 **midtempo Latin (Afro-Cuban tinged) jazz, a bit lounge-y, with killer horns. Bit of psychedelic guitar, and some very nice percussion.
4. 4:08 **uptempo salsa orchestra with a bit of funky soul, as well as complicated interplay of musical parts.
5. 3:35 ****sweet downbeat cumbia, wiggly and yummy. Cumbias are chocolate to me, I think… Suddenly goes all pompous hard rock. Gnarly!
6. 5:17 **sweet, slow, mellow big band swing/Latin, solo vocal. Big drama! Also some kind of chime-t sounding keyboard, giving a rather surreal feel to the exercise…
7. 4:03 ***upbeat funky something with spaghetti western elements. Almost familiar sounding, but with weirdness. Great sonal mix!
8. 2:57 **midtempo cumbia with a hint of Reggae beat and a smidge of psychedelia.
9. 1:04 *groovy little bit of fluff with flutes. Flute fluff.
10. 3:29 *midtempo Afro-Cuban/salsa, rather “normal” but with great horns.
11. 4:07 ****mash-up of many elements, midtempo and funky and hard to pin down, but very cool.
12. 3:48 **midtempo cumbia, nice baritone sax(?).
13. 3:22 **randomness and fuzz, slowly turning into something very large and very funky, then starting over, with a break for a bit of yelling… Finally a very very very slow fade.