|Gemma Ray / It's A Shame About Gemma Ray|
|Album:||It's A Shame About Gemma Ray||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2010-10-03||Pull Date:||2010-12-05|
|Week Ending:||5 Dec||28 Nov||21 Nov||14 Nov||7 Nov||31 Oct||24 Oct||17 Oct|
|1.||Sun, 10 Jan 16:||Mister Esquire|
|4.||Tue, 20 Aug 13:||Mister Esquire|
|2.||Thu, 08 Jan 15:||Mister Esquire|
Meow: The Best Of The Decade So Far (2010-2014).
|5.||Tue, 27 Sep 11:||mr. esq.|
the last meow
|3.||Tue, 17 Dec 13:||Mister Esquire|
Meow: In Memory Of Ratter
|6.||Wed, 08 Jun 11:||mr. esq.|
GEMMA RAY -IT'S A SHAME ABOUT GEMMA RAY.|
as reviewed by mr. esq.
this is a collection of covers recorded over 5 days.
(i can't believe 'lights out zoltar' hasn't been reviewed/played yet! don't worry: mr. esq.'s on the case/review/gonna-play-the-fuck-out-of-it.) covers a wide range of folks:
mudhoney, sonic youth, gun club, ella fitzgerald, etta james,
and many, many more. songs start to sound the same, but it's still good. heavy cave/gun club influence. can really hear vocals ala chan, donnelly. very gothic/noir. highly recommended.
SUGGESTIONS: 2, 3, 5, 9, 11, 16. (esp. 5&9&16)
1. slidey git. sounds like chan, but more range. very country.
*2. lushy begin. rocking.
*3. back to country. haunty. belly vox. sudden end.
4. keep with the haunty. somber, bassy git.
*5. a druggy country reworking=better than the original!
6. straight country. sweet.
8. this gets the rolly waves treatment.
*9. BEST SONG: better than the original(s). sad and beautiful.
10. latiny. really cat powery.
11. breathy. in/out vox effect. telephone? or corpse floating on the water?
12. now the cave/waits influ. is strong.
13. this is a nice respite from the rest: it's the most poppy.
14. sad, epic sounding.
15. slide distortion. this one's very soulful.
*16. ALMOST BEST SONG: this is just beautiful.