Scottish folk-infused pretty male-voxed indie pop... at its core. And then these guys are no strangers to Rush-inspired Guitar Hero runs, poppy choruses, and even synth tracks undercut by handclaps and a drum machine. Still, the folk grounds them -- melodic acoustic and airy lilty S&G-style harmonies, borrowings from their countrymen B&S, hella nods to Big Star, Elliott Smith, etc, etc. I got into this and Slow Club simultaneously, so. I am going to try very hard to not-compare their more electric tracks to Coheed, because then you won’t play them.
try: 8, 4, 2, 11
1. screech violin start. upbeat strummed-acoustic waltz. bellsy/shimmery chorus. some late-bloomer electric guitar.
*2. electroclash beat and cute “whoa”s. drum machine. somehow combines summery pop and proggy synth. “i’m so happy i could kick the sky in two.”
3. downtempo acoustic and super-high, super-airy vocals. slow and simple structure, washy layered harmonies. FADE OUT around :50 to end.
*4. swaying midtempo waltz. melodic fingerpicked acoustic ---> sidewinding electric that occasionally caves to prog-rock solos. minus the solos, very reminiscent of dreamworks-era elliott smith... or, hell, 'nightmares by the sea'.
5. quick strums and drums. very busy and happy (handclaps!). shimmery slowed-down bridge with lots of cymbal rolls.
6. hard rapid rudder acoustic and crisp, bouncy vocals. builds and layers. reachy vocals, especially towards the end.
7. FCC “fuck” mid-fast rocker. piercing electric guitar melody (oh, there are solos) and rapid-fire vocals. melancholy pop chorus. (‘la la la la la la la’)
*8. absolutely gorgeous mid-slow melodic acoustic with mournful violin. crusher lyrics.
9. fast 3/4 strums, a climbing electric riff, and vocals fringing on pop-punk. sounds a lot like the thermals.
10. slow shimmery start (sound effects, shakers). hard acoustic + bells + harmonies about 1 minute in. nice prog melodies & progressions. some electric solo wailing and deep bass moves. ENDS at 1:40 to end, but there is effectsy filler starting at about 1:25 to end.
*11. clean version of #7... with really annoying censor beeps.