Self-titled debut (in 2010, no less) of the folk collaboration between Kevin Devine and Manchester Orchestra. If you know those two artists, you'll know what to expect here: some combination of folk and indie elements bound by exceptional songwriting. There's nothing surprising or out-of-place here, just solid straightforward tunes. RIYL: Kevin Devine or Manchester Orchestra (obviously), Bon Iver, Conor Oberst. FCC WARNING: 3, 7
01. [3:03] ** How This All Ends -- Churning waltz, play this!
02. [3:37] ** The Easy Mark & The Old Maid -- Typical Kevin Devine lyrics with lush backup vocals
03. [3:50] [FCC] Baby Shoes -- Bass-driven track supported by heavy drums and punctuated with tortured guitar sound.
04. [3:53] You're A Mirror I Cannot Avoid -- Haunting
05. [4:04] ** Holding Down the Laughter -- Faster track with full band
06. [1:52] You Wouldn't Have To Ask -- Short, upbeat song featuring both Hall and Devine. Wish it were longer!
07. [4:50] [FCC] I Begged You Everything -- Beautiful reflective ballad, shame it's an FCC violation. Listen to it in the privacy of your own home.
08. [3:02] Please Move -- Great dynamic range, full band track
09. [3:23] Mesa, TX -- Western-tinged tune
10. [4:00] ** Texas -- Slow and bone-dry solo performance