|Lyrics Born / As U Were|
|Album:||As U Were||Collection:||Hip-hop|
|Add Date:||2010-11-07||Pull Date:||2011-01-09||Charts:||Hip-Hop|
|Week Ending:||9 Jan||2 Jan||26 Dec||19 Dec||12 Dec||5 Dec||28 Nov||21 Nov|
|1.||Tue, 01 Aug 17:||Dj Arid & DJ Bear|
|4.||Sun, 29 Jul 12:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|2.||Sun, 28 Jul 13:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|5.||Fri, 02 Sep 11:||Nick & Noah|
|3.||Sun, 25 Nov 12:||Raymundo|
MHz Broadcast 11.11.12
|6.||Wed, 23 Feb 11:||Nick & Noah|
Lyrics Born – As You Were|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 11/5/10
Old school Hip Hop beats with Lyrics Born’s rhythmic rapping. For those few who aren’t familiar with him yet, Lyrics Born is a Japanese-American from the Bay Area. Most FCC violations are lifted out, although it’s pretty clear what they were. A couple were missed, and track 10 has a chorus that sounds exactly like big fat FUCKIN over and over…
Actual FCC violations on 8 and 13 (skits). I love 1, 3, 4 most.
1. 3:32 ****old school, almost verging on disco sound (think Sugarhill or Kurtis Blow), but really good… Goes right into next track.
2. 3:37 ***midtempo old school sound with theramin sounds, love song.
3. 4:14 ****very disco sounding (esp. the chorus) – and no question it’s a dance song, but what a great beat! Ends with tinkly piano.
4. 4:40 ****more great old school funky sound. This reminds me of great times I never even had… Lyrics Born’s skill at creating counterpoint rhythm with his rap really shines on this one.
5. 0:53 VERY silly skit about getting past the secretary for an interview.
6. 5:44 *downtempo syncopated drum and chimes groove, vocals processed through mic, terribly pretty female vocals, strings. Very angst-ridden. Some folks will relate to this a lot better than I do, I think…
7. 4:23 ***starts out kinda Euro-80’s… And stays that way, but with a big dose of funkiness. It’s not groundshakingly new, but it sounds good, dammit.
8. 2:02 FCC: “whatever the fuck” “shit” more skit – actually pretty funny, interview with a freaky music exec selling cereal…
9. 4:11 ***funky beat and tinkly keyboard chords, deep-voiced singing. Soul/funk – and maybe a bit toegaze, even. But Lyrics Born does that rhythm rap thing, and it turns out much better than it had any right to…
10. 3:28 Warning!!! “You ain’t funky like me” repeated in chorus, which sounds EXACTLY like total FCC violation. Keep that in mind, ok? It’s great, otherwise. ****Just beats and boops and crazy rapping full of proper braggadocio.
11. 3:09 **sort of hard rock rap, more braggadocio.
12. 3:02 ***old school beats and claps. Guest rappers (who mostly serve to make Lyrics Born sound better, IMO…)
13. 0:55 FCC: “oh fuck it.” skit, going through pills. Lots of pills.
14. 4:25 ***chanting intro, low-key beat and rap, feat Gift of Gab. Catchy goofy chorus.
15. 3:44 ***very hip-shaky beat with stuttering keyboards and processed vocal chorus. Cuts off suddenly half a minute from end and comes back to slow fade.