|In Grenada / Break|
|Label:||(No Label Information)|
|Add Date:||2011-11-20||Pull Date:||2012-01-22|
|Week Ending:||8 Jan||1 Jan||25 Dec||18 Dec||11 Dec|
|1.||Wed, 17 Oct 12:||DJ Mir|
|4.||Sun, 22 Jan 12:||DJ Catherine|
|2.||Thu, 24 May 12:||DJ Mir|
|5.||Tue, 03 Jan 12:||glu|
|3.||Sun, 22 Jan 12:||Mir|
|6.||Fri, 30 Dec 11:||Francis D|
Philadelphia-based pop quartet In Grenada really shines on Break, their debut album. Strong hooks and crisp, bright vocals are reminiscent of the Shins, Pinback, Death Cab for Cutie, and maybe Band of Horses a little? Some aspects of their songs also remind me of Tom Petty. Their incorporations of folk-rock and country elements – especially in the guitar work – differentiate them from your typical pop band. Fairly mellow, harmonic music. No FCCs. Recommended: 1, 2 for standard great pop songs, 9 for something a bit different and folksier. 10 for all-around excellence and interesting instrumentals.|
1*. 2:41 Peppy. Tempo shifts from up- to mid- create interest and diversity. Follows the standard pop-song template but with excellent results.
2*. 3:27 Guitars and vocals first create the sense of building up to something; chorus is accordingly a little anti-climatic but the singer’s falsetto is pretty. Verses are very melodic. A bit of twangy country-esq guitar melds nicely with the otherwise very pop-y sound.
3. 3:55 Melancholy, slower. Chill.
4. 3:00 More country-sounding – also reminds me of Tom Petty. Would be a good driving song. Soaring harmonies. A little (intentional) distortion around 1:50.
5. 3:11 Rather tacky lyrics. Some instrumental experimentation – at one point it sounds like they’re banging around plastic toys in a bathtub or something. Very campfire-y guitar solo at 1:50.
6. 2:58 Initial vocals very theatrical – think a toned-down Freddie Mercury. Then merges into more typical pop, with an energetic, but somewhat unremarkable chorus. Some harmonica work! Pretty chimes at the end.
7. 3:09 Chorus is more up-tempo, with the verses being relatively calm. Pretty, surfer-influenced guitar work.
8. 1:16 Purely instrumental. Very relaxed, almost ambient/new-age.
9*. 4:15 Strong guitar hook. Powerful, emotional, dragged-out vocals.
10*. 3:32 Chimes and percussion are highlighted here – sometimes there are just vocals with chimes and no other instrumentation. Also includes the harmonica again!
|1.||Distance And Temptation||6.||Burning Crosses (Against Seduction)|
|2.||It Doesn't Matter||7.||Broken Castle|
|3.||There's A Change||8.||Prelude|
|4.||Hills (Flooded Valleys)||9.||Keep That River Running Home|
|5.||Beating Heart||10.||On The Line|