|Rose, Caitlin / Own Side Now|
|Album:||Own Side Now||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Theory 8 Records|
|Add Date:||2011-05-01||Pull Date:||2011-07-03|
|Week Ending:||3 Jul||26 Jun||19 Jun||12 Jun||5 Jun||29 May||22 May||15 May|
|1.||Oct 04, 2014:||The Iron Skillet |
|4.||Jun 26, 2011:||Sunny Side Up |
Sinful Wishing Well
|2.||Feb 28, 2013:||Daydream Disaster |
|5.||Jun 22, 2011:||meow proper |
Learning To Ride
|3.||Jul 03, 2011:||Sunny Side Up |
|6.||Jun 19, 2011:||Sunny Side Up |
Sinful Wishing Well
|MC Dizzy Jackson|
It’s older country. It’s alt-country. It’s indie. It’s good pop. 23 year-old Rose’s debut presents a lot of different stylings and all quite well done. Songs about, what else?, relationships, as well as a couple other topics. Her lyrics sound as if they’re from someone with much more life experience. Lots of sounds like Patsy Cline, Lucinda Williams, Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley). It’s a great first effort, try any song. No FCC’s.|
*My Favorites*: 2, 5, 6, 7. 8, 10.
1. (4:29) Mid. Brushes on the drums, pedal steel, plodding beat, echoey vocals. Nice, easy-going song, slow fade-out.
2. *(3:57) Slow / Mid. Strummed guitar with slow, easy drum beat. Cool, classic country pedal steel. Great instrumentation.
3. (4:52) Slow / Mid. Tambourine, pedal steel, slow drums. Dreamy, poppy. A bit ’50’s, a bit modern-day indie-pop.
4. (3:52) Mid / Fast. Fun beat with handclaps. Upbeat and driving. Male background vocals. About cigarettes as a metaphor for love. Cool guitar solos.
5. *(4:47) Mid. Mellow folksy song. Castanets, piano, great country guitar work. Upbeat.
6. *(3:44) Mid / Fast. Quick pace song. Harmonica, shakers, drums, pedal steel, guitar. Sounds like Lucinda Williams on this one.
7. *(5;57) Slow / Mid. Dirge. Great production, a bit like T-Bone Burnett’s swampy sound. Really nice backing vocals. It’s got that country guitar sound, plodding drumbeat.
8. *(4:23) Mid. Galloping beat, pedal steel, acoustic strummed guitar. Great piano solo.
9. (4:22) Slow / Mid. Sparse and mellow. Great naked vocal performance.
10. *(5:26) Slow / Mid. Very stretched-out and mellow to start, then tempo picks up with killer guitar and full band. Alternates between slower and quicker tempos. Great harmonica and piano work. Ends abruptly.
|1.||Learning To Ride||6.||Spare Me|
|2.||Own Side||7.||Things Change|
|3.||For The Rabbits||8.||That's Alright|
|4.||Shanghai Cigarettes||9.||Sinful Wishing Well|
|5.||New York||10.||Coming Up|