|Low Anthem, The / Smart Flesh|
|Artist:||Low Anthem, The||Added:||03/2011|
|Add Date:||2011-05-14||Pull Date:||2011-07-16|
|Week Ending:||10 Jul||3 Jul||26 Jun||19 Jun||12 Jun||5 Jun||29 May||22 May|
|1.||Sep 09, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
Hey, All You Hippies!, Boeing 737
|4.||Jun 24, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
|2.||Jul 08, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
Smart Flesh, Boeing 737
|5.||Jun 17, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
Hey, All You Hippies!
|3.||Jul 01, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
Hey, All You Hippies!
|6.||Jun 10, 2011:||Wee Animalcules |
|MC Dizzy Jackson|
Lots of influences here, and I’m talking some heavy-hitting stuff, like Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and The Band. It’s ethereal, dreamy, spacey yet presented in a completely coherent and linear way. It’s got instrumentation of things like clarinets, organ, banjo, jew harp, horns, etc. Many of the lyrics are thought-provoking and lasting. Incredible stuff. No FCC’s. |
*My Favorites*: 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11.
1. *(4:19) Slow / Mid. Lo-fi, church hymn-like, haunting, like you’ve heard it and felt it before. Sparse with piano and not much else. Great.
2. (4:22) Slow / Mid. Country-sounding song, another one with lots of space. Organ, plodding drum, acoustic guitar, pedal steel, harmonica.
3. *(2:40) Mid / Fast. Loud drums, guitars, bass, subdued harmonica. It’s driving with vocals set back in the mix a bit. It’s loud, epic and killer.
4. *(3:07) Slow. Echoey, melancholy and dreamy chorus of vocals put through a tunnel. with sparse acoustic guitar and piano. Wow. Ends too soon.
5. *(3:54) Slow. The vocal sounds eerily like Bob Dylan’s. Killer pump organ with harmonica phrases.
6. (3:47) Slow. Triple clarinet INSTRUMENTAL.
7. (5:18) Slow / Mid. A bit carnivalistic and spooky. Slight country with banjo. Cool organ. It’s epic sounding. Leonard Cohen influence with the vocal delivery.
8. *(4:41) Mid. Really sounding like The Band with that Garth Hudson-like organ and vocal phrasing. Killer.
9. (3:27) Slow. Sparse banjo-led dirge with some ringing bells and a transistor radio at the end.
10. *(3:10) Slow / Mid. Another hymn-like song with piano, bass, clarinet and guitar. Beautiful.
11. *(7:31) Slow. It’s a lyrically heavy, heavy dirge. It’s brutal, scary, really makes you think about some shit we go through in life. Never thought a jew harp could sound so good. Fuck, what a great song...
|1.||Ghost Woman Blues||6.||Wire|
|3.||Boeing 737||8.||Hey, All You Hippies!|
|4.||Love And Altar||9.||I'll Take Out Your Ashes|
|5.||Matter Of Time||10.||Golden Cattle|