|Wright, Brian / House On Fire|
|Album:||House On Fire||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Sugar Hill Records|
|Add Date:||2011-06-05||Pull Date:||2011-08-07|
|Week Ending:||7 Aug||10 Jul||3 Jul||26 Jun||19 Jun|
|1.||Feb 21, 2014:||The Songsmith Show |
Pretty Little Pennies
|4.||Jul 08, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
|2.||Jan 18, 2013:||The Songsmith Show |
|5.||Jul 01, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
|3.||Aug 05, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
Mean Ol' Wind
|6.||Jun 24, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
|MC Dizzy Jackson|
Born and raised in Texas, based now in L.A. this is Brian Wright’s third album and showcases his songwriting prowess. The album is full of songs “on the subjects of love and arson”. It is a mix of both upbeat and slow-paced gems. Instrumentation of guitar, bass, drums, harmonica, banjo, piano, strings, the sound is a mix of blues, country, rock - American music. The influences are apparent enough - Allman Brothers, Tom Petty, Guy Clark. Good Stuff. FCC #12.|
*My Favorites*: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 14.
1. *(3:40) Mid. Upbeat sounds around an alienating storyline. Resonator guitar, handclaps, backing vocals, driving drumbeat. Allman Brothers sound. Just killer.
2. (2:49) Slow / Mid. Country guitar and beat, paced vocal delivery. Robbie Robertson-sounding guitar (from The Band). Good stuff.
3. *(2:37) Slow. Sparse instrumentation of guitar, bass, percussion, female backing vocal. Really nice.
4. *(6:02) Mid. Song about a woman playing various instruments and relationships. Cool percussion, guitar, banjo, keys, backing vocals, start / stop phrases.
5. *(3:09) Mid. Slide guitar, very bluesy. Cracked voicing, sparse. Song about getting a disease, hence the title of the song (Mesothelioma). Great violin / piano ending.
6. *(1:54) Slow. Calming folksy campfire song. It’s a dirge, but sweetly done.
7. *(3:23) Mid / Fast. Upbeat acoustic guitar, sitar, drums, even a jew harp. Song about a sickly man and his doctor. Female backing vocals. Change with about 0:30 remaining. Great song.
8. (3:21) Mid. ’50’s doo-wop, r’n’b. Epic sounding, really big with horns, strings, backing vocals, guitar solo.
9. *(3:15) Mid. ‘You Got To Move’ take-off. Echoey and bluesy. Killer slide, drums,
10. (4:39) Slow. Minimal acoustic song, guitar predominates with vocal. Song about the tragic events of the speaker’s life.
11. *(3:38) Mid. Acoustic, brushes on the drums, piano. Easy-going song that rolls along. Backing vocals.
12. (2:22) Mid. FCC.
13. (3:22) Slow / Mid. Bandmates spoken intro. Country guitar, backing vocals, plodding drumbeat.
14. *(3:07) Slow. Sparse with acoustic guitar, bass, violin, whistling. Song about being a friend.
|1.||Striking Matches||8.||Still Got You|
|2.||Blind April||9.||Rich Man's Blues|
|3.||Live Again||10.||Maria Sugarcane|
|4.||Accordian||11.||Pretty Little Pennies|
|6.||Mean Ol' Wind||13.||If You Stay|
|7.||The Good Dr.||14.||Friend|