|Bird Names / A Salute To The Energy Of The Sun|
|Album:||A Salute To The Energy Of The Sun||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Northern Spy Records|
|Rev. R4D4 Leech|
Bird Names - A salute to the energy of the sun|
ZK 970 567
Great & weird, lo-fi Chicago band. Noisey pieces, lyrics are nearly haikus, vocals sung with a slight bit of distortion. Dreamy, medium paced stuff. Lots of background stuff so great on headphones! Best Tracks (IMO) 1, 3, 5, 6 - Review by Rev. R4D4
1) sounds like the crazy guy on the bus singing "I'm the King, Kiss my Ring" odd drums, jangly guitar.
2) stomp then airy vocals, toy piano & slight samba. An ode to the beach, samples of storks.
3) beat has a nice low dip to it, like a talking drum. psychedelic guitar melodies
4) chorus of maddening vocals that hinge on a lyrical stop. Fun. Slightly waltz-ish.
5) chorus vocals run around your ears as tribal drums beat your brain. Half-way song opens up to cleaner production & an almost mr.rogers type ditty, but then turns into noise. Cool.
6) Apollo the energy of the sun! quicker paced, exciting horns, accordions, percussion, metallic cymbals. Reminds me of waking up feeling super manic. One of those crazy days!
7) war beat drums, w. time-warped middle eastern tuned guitars. most poppy of the album. little like They Might be Giants at parts.
8) instrumental, funny guitar like one is slightly drunk and friends are telling her to look at the UFO flying by, but they just playin'!
9) Vocal heavy song about repairing house, violin gives folky touch
10) tom waits-ish intro w. syth, heavy bass but light drums.
11) outer-space transmissions tell you it's all impermanent.
12) seems to wrap it all up, tell me, son (or Sun)...what is your name? manic, like all earlier tracks
|1.||Kiss My Ring||7.||My Baby's A Lady|
|2.||The Beach & The Lake||8.||Metabolism|
|3.||Grow Each Other||9.||Dust You Come|
|4.||Welcome To The Ghost Age||10.||Ok, Another Windless Day|
|5.||Phantoms & Fortunes||11.||Their Impermanent Occasion|
|6.||Apollo, Descend||12.||Tell Me, Son|