|Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, The / Belong|
|Artist:||Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, The||Added:||Apr 2011|
|Add Date:||2011-04-10||Pull Date:||2011-06-12|
|Week Ending:||Jun 12||Jun 5||May 29||May 22||May 15||May 8||May 1||Apr 24|
|1.||Jan 31, 2017:||satin fever |
|4.||Apr 23, 2014:||Whatever the Hippies Want, Bitch! |
Heaven's Gonna Happen Now
|2.||Apr 07, 2016:||All Passion No Technique |
|5.||Apr 03, 2014:||Stringless Balloon |
|3.||Jun 12, 2014:||Fried Egg |
|6.||Mar 02, 2013:||alles 2.0 |
Start with indie pop, add fuzz. Not lo-fi, just fuzz. A band of emo kids out of Brooklyn who have clearly been watching too many Gregg Araki movies. ("He cries when he comes", etc.) Nods to My Bloody Valentine, Ride, JAMC, etc, but the music is harder, a little bit more rock 'n roll. Just add suburban angst, etc. High school suburban angst, specifically. An airy voice that sounds nothing like Billy Corgan's (Smashing Pumpkins) or Brian Molko's (Placebo), but reminds you of them anyway. This is their second record. They can't stay this young forever... right?|
RIYL: The Cure, Ride, Smashing Pumpkins
try: 1 (!!), 3, 6, 10
**1. (~5 sec to start) everything i love about pains. hard, melodic, fuzzy, fierce and anthemic song about misfits sticking together. god damn, an electric bass sliding between two notes has never sounded so good.
2. boppy (but fuzzy) rockin' indie pop. very pop. some pokey electric.
*3. fastish classicky rudder bass and coheed-ish hard guitar. relationship fallout: "it never stops when you need it to."
4. nice bubble keys riff -- i wish the rest of the song didn't eclipse it. cure-ish chorus. the last minute gets grandiose and loud.
5. slow, descending electric guitar, tambourine, washy warm 'ooh's that sound like passing trains. balladry.
*6. ~6 sec to start. effective, straight (ie, less fuzz) melodic verse. big, hard (groan) washy chorus with obvious lyrics: "even in dreams i will not betray you."
7. FCC "shit" slam-dunk keys riff, cooker bass. fast and airy. about a friend with benefits, minus the "friend" and "benefits" parts. erm.
8. hard-hitting bass drum, stressed out guitar and punkier vox. chorus somewhat marred by obvious rhymes.
9. pleasant midtempo, very basic snare-heavy kit, and a melody that (probably unwittingly) borrows from the free willy song. guyyyys!
*10. shimmery guitarscape. mid-fast hi-hat heavy kit. you can actually hear the layers under all that fuzz. adorable (and heavily harmonised) croonsies: "ana, ana, our dreams are coming true." fade out begins early.
|1.||Belong||6.||Even In Dreams|
|2.||Heaven's Gonna Happen Now||7.||My Terrible Friend|
|3.||Heart In Your Heartbreak||8.||Girl Of 1,000 Dreams|
|4.||The Body||9.||Too Tough|
|5.||Anne With An E||10.||Strange|