NOWAI. Chilly airy dark-n-gorgeous fuzzy-voxed synth-assist shoegaze from the unlikeliest of unlikelies. I guess it all makes sense, these LA-obsessed kids are just hopping decades and motifs, but holy crap, I would never in a million years have guessed this was the new Raveonettes.
try: 7, 8, 1, 4
*1. easy midtempo. raw garage guitar, hard snare, genderless fuzz vox. slight 'we can be heroes' undertone. sounds like a way chill t.rex.
2. ~20 sec twinkly keys intro. ghostly, spare lyrics, high keys. haunty, echoey, cold.
3. airy sweet vox rooted by simple warm bass. minimal repetitive lyrics about... well shit, either dating a younger kid or having a kid. sort of the same deal, no?
*4. pretty, layered pedal-on piano, hangman drums and melodic minor guitar. harsh airy vox. sounds like winter.
5. drumless. high-reg twinkly electric. sounds like a hymn in french.
6. short, somewhat undeveloped. l.a. shimmer chords, reverb, windchill, weird resemblance to the backing harmonies on 'the lion sleeps tonight'.
*7. rockin' garage guitar + rudder bass, straight vox. probably the most mainstreamy track on the record.
*8. dark etudey intro. kicks into bang-out slap guitar and a nerve-prickling swirl riff. gets hard/loud and then disarmingly soft in places. super chilly!
9. sweet waltz. gentle airy arpeggiated guitar riff. relaxy harmonies. drums in midway, swells.