The 21st release from Hobo Cubes, the Canadian mastermind behind the cassette label Hobo Cult (rated best music label by Digitalis this past year). Hobo Cubes has no specific sound, although he does tend to stick to keyboards and foundsound recordings. This album, released by the good folks at Debacle is just in time for summer, and displays a rosier palette with lots of splashy aquatic imagery that is seldom seen in his usually dark cryptic pieces. This is a brilliant, moving album, and if you are a fan of ambient music this is one you want to check out for sure. Dare I say that this is his greatest release to date?
RIYL: Water Lily Jaguar, Dolphins into the Future, Sundrips
1. Gentle shimmering keyboard over a bed of sunny drone. Like tiny drops of water reflecting the innumerable colors of the rainbow. Amazing.
2. Bright tendrils of warbly synthesizer wrapping around your leg. Vangelis riffs and grainy drone undertones. Some is screwing with that pitch knob again.
3. Slowly melting keyboard lines. Excellent swirls and textures that only Hobo Cubes could think up. Very calm and meditative.
4. High-pitched interstellar drone waves. Interesting celestial chimes in the mix. Numbing.
5. More rapidly-changing aquatic textures as seen on track 1. Gorgeous.
6. Organ-driven ambient/drone. This one is a slow ascent for sure. Epic as hell.
7. Brassy experimental wandering with buzzy keyboards.
8. A hidden sanctuary of glowing emeralds and ethereal feedback.
9. Deep and grumbling with a great extraterrestrial synth quavering.