|Jones, Booker T. / Road From Memphis, The|
|Album:||Road From Memphis, The||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Jones, Booker T.||Added:||06/2011|
|Add Date:||2011-06-19||Pull Date:||2011-08-21|
|Week Ending:||21 Aug||14 Aug||7 Aug||24 Jul||17 Jul||10 Jul||3 Jul||26 Jun|
|1.||Dec 07, 2016:||Emergency Crew (For Decca) |
|4.||Oct 01, 2013:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon |
(Noon) Rent Party
|2.||Apr 25, 2015:||Mix Tape |
|5.||Jun 25, 2013:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon SUMMER!!! |
|3.||Oct 29, 2013:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon |
The Bronx (Feat. Lou Reed - RIP)
|6.||May 22, 2013:||Finger Licking Good |
Booker T. Jones – The Road from Memphis|
Reviewed by Sadie O, 6/17/11
Tribute to Memphis Soul by one of its main creators. Green Onions was Booker T And the MGs’ monster hit, but they also played on most of everything that was released on Stax in the 60’s. Booker’s band here is the Roots, who need no introduction, I should think. Most songs are instrumentals, Booker plays keyboards. Damn fine.
1. 3:15 ****bass rumble slide, then downtempo super-funky strut. Fun. KAY!
2. 3:06 **downtempo, relaxed sashay with lots of stuttering keyboards – you will no doubt remember Gnarls Barkley doing this.
3. 3:20 **slow soul groove – definitely reminiscent of the heyday of Memphis Soul. Features Yim Yones on vocals.
4. 3:48 ***uptempo, wicked drums, funky.
5. 3:51 ****downtempo, super cool funky stroll, vocals by Booker T. Nice. Sweet bass work on this track, too.
6. 4:35 ***big noodly intro, then solid downtempo funk strut. Gets a bit anthemic in vibe by the end.
7. 3:59 ***slow laid-back soul groove, a bit smooth-jazzy feeling, but funky. Gets some pretty bouncy syncopation.
8. 3:30 **slow soul, Matt Berninger and Sharon Jones vocals, repping Memphis no doubt.
9. 3:23 ***big fat bass-led funky wiggle. Bongolicious funky second half.
10. 3:51 ****FUN-KAY bass and drums, adds instruments, just NIIIIICE….
11. 4:38 *slow soul, twangy guitar, then bluesy guitar. Vocals by Lou Reed – points for oddness, definitely got me scratching my head.
|1.||Walking Papers||6.||Everything Is Everything|
|4.||The Hive||9.||The Vamp|
|5.||Down In Memphis||10.||Harlem House|
|11.||The Bronx (Feat. Lou Reed)|