Invasion Of The Mysteron Killer Sounds: 3D Dancehall Digital Dub|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/14/11
Digital dub/dubstep/acid/electric dancehall from the UK and Jamaica. Some “eminence gris” folks of the ilk, some upcoming stars of the UK club scene. Mostly instrumentals. Nicely quirky. Makes me feel like there may be hope after all.
All great – track 6 sounds like an FCC, though.
1. 3:08 **chat intro, then tinny drum, ponderous chords, minimalist sound collage. More fun than it sounds…
2. 3:20 ***wistful strings intro, then Atari game dub, groovy beat.
3. 3:24 ****odd noises and extremely stoned processed vocalisms. Definitely the poop.
4. 4:17 ****jaunty beat combined with middle eastern violin tune – odd pairing but cool.
5. 2:36 ***eeeeepy! Eeeeep eeep! Slowish and very eepy!
6. 3:09 FCC – “fuck”(?) *low tones, and what really sounds like an FCC over and over…
7. 3:03 ****nice – sort of a Bahamian/Egyptian hybrid with lots of bounce.
8. 3:03 ****bleepygronches in a VERY VERY happy insect dance.
9. 3:52 **big electronic noise, dancehall vocalizations, very electronic whirrs. Actual singing!
10. 3:10 ****proper electronic dancehall skank with proper DJ chat. A bit bizarre, but still recognizable…
11. 3:22 **hums and blats, rather mellow. Bit of horror movie music, I think.
12. 3:23 ***fast glitchy sounding riddim.
13. 4:41 ***minimalist beats – rather like the “drum” line in MIA’s “Galang”, but with whoobles. & crickets and frogs and monsters.
14. 3:16 ****rather remote and mysterious, with tiki mugs. (BTW, Marlon Williams is Marley Marl…)
15. 3:21 ***kinda Euro-80’s sounding hums and wooops. Then goes all junglistic.
16. 4:44 **ack, insects! Ack! Then thumpy boops and snare and wasps. And female vocal snippets – I think it’s Warrior Queen.
17. 3:06 ****absolutely the most ADORABLE little happy frog! Jumping on a bean bag!
18. 3:08 ***low-key woopwoopwoop, tinkles. Then DISCO! Oh yeah, get funky on the dance floor, baby! Lil bit of Grateful Dead, too.
19. 3:04 ***uptempo locomotion with vocal bits.
20. 3:14 **shuffling, rather relaxed, with bongos and bangs.
21. 3:55 ***boppy beat with lots of interesting noises.
22. 3:02 ***whoobles and fractured speaking, very jaunty beat. Electric Sha-na-na monkey!
23. 2:20 **slow staggering beat (I think it may be fatally injured..)
24. 2:48 ****swingy mangled Atari skank with significant Dancehall remnants. I think that’s bits of Barrington Levy?
25. 3:47 ***energetic bangs and boops.
26. 3:36 ****groovy midtempo something with a lot of wildly different noises. Mostly percussion, but occasional squooblyflutes.
27. 2:36 ***it’s actual Reggae! Dang! Skankable!
28. 3:38 ****bang bang! Bang bang! Hit hit! Ribbit ribbit!
29. 2:32 ***glitchy cutoff beat, bits of pretty singing.
30. 3:04 ****whooshes, groovy beat, marimba, blats, lounge-y.
31. 2:48 ****downtempo Reggae bubble with glitchy little bells.
32. 3:46 ***poppity pops and mellow keyboards. After half a minute, slow reverby skank.
33. 3:18 ****big, gloriously out of tune horn section, uptempo bubble, very much Dancehall dub. Syndrum, processed vocals. Yay!
34. 3:13 ***uptempo, boopy, but with an air of mystery.
35. 3:30 ***uptempo and upbeat, proud little energizer bunnies.