|Various Artists / Thai Pop Spectacular, Vol. 2: Siamese Soul|
|Album:||Thai Pop Spectacular, Vol. 2: Siamese Soul||Collection:||World|
|Add Date:||2011-08-14||Pull Date:||2011-10-16||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||16 Oct||9 Oct||2 Oct||25 Sep||18 Sep||11 Sep||4 Sep||28 Aug|
|1.||Wed, 01 Feb 17:||Decca|
At the Cafe Bohemian
|4.||Sat, 23 Mar 13:||Eme O|
|2.||Sun, 04 Aug 13:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|5.||Mon, 10 Oct 11:||abraxas|
NOT Palo Alto City Council i
|3.||Thu, 25 Jul 13:||miss information|
|6.||Wed, 05 Oct 11:||Sunshine|
Thai Pop Spectacular, Vol 2: Siamese Soul|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 8/9/11
Thai pop music from the 60’s to 80’s. Vol. 2 of the amazing comp series from Sublime Frequencies. Amazing mashup of Western and Thai styles. Check out the booklet for some keen pix, and rather gobsmacking synopses of the lyrics. Sounds like there just might be some FCCs – in Thai. Who knows?
Songs seem to get less pop and more just plain odd towards end of CD.
I love this series, and this volume is my favorite yet. All amazing!
1. 3:16 ***groovy frug/mambo beat, high and very Southeast Asian traditionally inflected vocals. All about THAT kind of bong!
2. 3:17 ***downtempo swingy, vaguely spy-movie-ish, great female vocals.
3. 4:45 ***even more lounge-y/swingy, wailing vocals.
4. 3:16 **upbeat, very squeepy, very strange (to our ears) vocals. Gets a little repetitive.
5. 3:11 ***midtempo ultra-groovy swingy bop, adorable female vocals and odd male backup noises.
6. 4:40 **chimes… lots of chimes. Then very downtempo, very traditional sounding song and dance, using modern instruments. Cool glitchy vocals.
7. 3:33 ***big piano chords and bongos, then downtempo pop cha cha of the utterliest sort.
8. 3:21 ****downtempo, funky, with frogs. What isn’t better with frogs?
9. 2:32 ***awesome 60’s pop/funk/farfisa march, about breast milk.
10. 3:22 ****wow! Downtempo wah-wah guitar – a bit Isaac Hayes. Until the vocals start, and they’re odd ones.
11. 3:28 ***mambo, baby!
12. 3:22 ***terribly dramatic intro, then midtempo clippity-cloppity sweet pop, startling female vocals.
13. 3:21 ***downtempo funky crawl. Gnarly guitar solo.
14. 4:50 **high drama, slow sway, heartrending indeed, oh yes. Also a bit dischordant, but hey…
15. 4:46 ***noodly farfisa intro, very slow loping groove with plinkybats. Truly, deeply strange.