|Melchior, Dan Und Das Menace / Catbirds & Cardinals|
|Album:||Catbirds & Cardinals||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Melchior, Dan Und Das Menace||Added:||09/2011|
|Label:||Northern Spy Records|
|Add Date:||2012-01-22||Pull Date:||2012-03-25|
|Week Ending:||12 Feb||5 Feb||29 Jan|
|1.||Feb 10, 2012:||Songs: CANTAN |
Summer In Siberia
|3.||Jan 27, 2012:||Modern Donkey - Special Edition |
I Saw The Ghost Of Peter Cook
|2.||Feb 01, 2012:||Brownian Motion |
|4.||Jan 25, 2012:||Modern Donkey - Songs about Places |
The Forest Of Tin
Dan Melchior Und Das Menace / “Catbirds & Cardinals” / Northern Spy|
Half-inspired singer with audible British accent, too cool for school. Not to say the songs aren’t good, just seems like it’s more than just the music. There’s a general air of trying to evoke the coolness of the love child between English punk and The Velvet Underground. Dan Melchior has apparently been around for the past 10-15 years recording with many other projects. This one has a well-conceived/produced garage rock sound, with nice simple riffs and melodies under all the distortion. Some songs drag, but the songwriting is still quality. Hard to describe mature sound, like “yeah this is kind of a simple melody, but... you made it great. Cool.”
FCC #8 “fucked up”
Favorite tracks: 4, 6, 7, 11
1. 2:50 Big opener, distorted guitars, bored singer, strange references to making the same mistake as Adolf Hitler. Hmm...
2. 2:54 Uptempo, distortion, guitars, echoey piano in catchy-ish chorus.
3. 5:20 Voice higher and echoey-er than usual. Kind of a catchy simple guitar riff in background. Loads of synths and distortions, the usual. Mostly instrumental middle, cool soloing.
4. *3:03 Usual thrashy guitars, talk-singing, but there’s a melody underneath that’s really nice when you peel it down. Nice.
5. 3:40 Starts with clean strummed guitar, distant vocals, synthy heavier chorus. Catchy, but a bit repetitive.
6. *2:35 Midtempo beat, melodic clean electric guitar kind of a nice contrast with usual harsh vocals. Very simple, nice.
7. *2:40 Midtempo, heavy ambient synth distortion over clean singing/guitar, occasional harmonies, sounds kind of like a snowy scene.
8. 2:15 FCC “fucked up” Thrashy catchy midtempo song about stupid British people (Tony Blair, Posh & Becks...) and how angry they make him, but he still defends England.
9. 4:06 Loud synth wash in background, heavily distorted vocals, hard to hear lyrics. No real beat or melody.
10. 2:28 Upbeat midtempo, electric guitars that get bendy at times. Nice chords. Song about screwed up people (“drama queens on prooozaaaac...”)
11. *5:25 Downtempo, clean acoustic and electric guitar, great simple chords, dramatic sound, echoey chorus. Epic guitar solo for last 2 min.
|1.||Summer In Siberia||6.||I Saw The Ghost Of Peter Cook|
|2.||The Forest Of Tin||7.||Poison Pete's Holiday|
|3.||Squalor On Sunday||8.||English Shame|
|4.||Catbird||9.||Crow Radio #2|
|5.||Deep Fried Circuits||10.||Drama Queens On Prozac|
|11.||Gnomes On The Runway|