Why the hell does anyone listen to Electric Wizard when their fellow Brit doomsters Ramesses are out there doing it a million times better? Sure, you get your regular dose of musical bongloads, but the heavy riffs are delivered with a passionate sense of urgency that is absent in most stoner/doom metal. After all, shouldn’t doom metal evoke a sense of, well… DOOM? This album is plodding, pensive, and psychedelic, but also massively heavy, raw and despairing. Fans of Sleep, Eyehategod, Cathedral, the ‘Wiz, Bongripper (yes there is actually a band with such an absurd name) will enjoy this if they also enjoy late night satanic rituals in dark forests.
FCC clean (the vocals echo too much to make sense anyway). Best tracks: 3, 4, 5, 7
1. (3:38) A midpaced rocker with vocals alternating between gruesome howls and chanted incantations that will scare your kids shitless.
2. (6:02) Starts with mellow psych, but soon builds into massive doom.
3. (9:05) Excruciatingly slowwww and wretched, pure nasty evil
4. (8:10) Lumbering riffs that are oddly melodic and creepy in a black-metal way
5. (7:22) Trippy psychedelia again gives way to SICK Cathedral-esque riffs
6. (6:12) The heaviness is somewhat subdued at a mellow pace, but no less badass overall
7. (10:59) Echoing guitar drones on over a steady beat, eventually rising into a MASSIVE DOOM EPIC—FUCK YEAH