|Grey, J.J. & Mofro / Brighter Days|
|Artist:||Grey, J.J. & Mofro||Added:||Oct 2011|
|Add Date:||2011-10-09||Pull Date:||2011-12-11|
|Week Ending:||Nov 27||Nov 20||Oct 30||Oct 16|
|1.||Nov 23, 2011:||Morning (Turkey) Glory |
|3.||Oct 26, 2011:||The Show with T-Lex and Lil Lolo |
|2.||Nov 16, 2011:||Morning Glory |
|4.||Oct 13, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
|MC Dizzy Jackson|
Recorded live in early 2011 at The Variety Playhouse in Atlanta. J.J. Grey is from Florida and plays bluesy, southern rockin’, soulful r&b. Instrumentation of guitars, bass, drums, keys, harmonica, horns. A nice mix of upbeat and slower, soulful songs, with some audience help on a couple numbers. Grey’s got a strong voice with some great players behind him. FCC #6 on spoken intro.|
*My Favorites*: 3, 4, 5, 8, 9.
1. (4:47) MId. Band intro. Harmonica, vocals out front with solid backbeat.
2. (3:24) Slow / Mid. Ballad about a woman. Really sparse and soulfully sung.
3. *(8:01) Slow / Mid. Title track. Cool lap steel with slow, plodding beat, picking up a bit about halfway through. Mellow and magnetic. Lots of bluesy soul.
4. *(5:22) Mid. Airy (like the title) and sparse. Great organ. Gets really upbeat and jazzy with some cool sax. Crowd joins in on chorus at end.
5. *(4:28) Mid. Mean electric guitar, driving drumbeat. Song about war. Killer with big finish.
6. (11:20) FCC on spoken intro with 9:27 remaining. Spoken intro ends with 7:50 remaining. Slow then Mid / Fast. Harmonica, slow beat, which picks up. Longish guitar solo. Really soulful. Beautiful.
7. (4:17) Mid. Slow, disjointed beat, wah-wah guitar, strong, mean vocal delivery. Sparse and killer.
8. *(5:35) Mid. Drum intro, handclaps from the crowd. Bass, guitar soloing, horn soloing, nice easy beat.
9. *(7:56) Mid / Fast. All about food. A bit of James Brown with great horns, rockin’ and driving. Stretches out a bit with some nice bass and drum soloing.
10. (7:52) Slow / Mid. Song about his woman, Soulful with some audience sing-a-long, guitar solo. Ends with a thank you to the crowd and a big, loud finish.
11. (9:13) Slow / Mid. Sparse and soulful with vocal, keys, drums, horns predominating.
12. (6:35) Mid. Organ, horns, guitar get blazing. Cool sax / trumpet interplay.
|2.||A Woman||8.||Orange Blossoms|
|3.||Brighter Days||9.||Ho Cake|
|4.||Air||10.||The Sweetest Thing|
|5.||War||11.||The Sun Is Shining Down|