|Youth Lagoon / Year Of Hibernation, The|
|Add Date:||2012-01-01|| ||Pull Date:||2012-03-04|| |
|Week Ending:||26 Feb||19 Feb||12 Feb||5 Feb||29 Jan||22 Jan||15 Jan||8 Jan|
Sleepy bedroom dreampop. Gentle yet plaintive nostalgia. Muddy, muffled, fuzzy and sweet. Pretty, pale and longing. Thin, fragile vox. All songs start slow and quiet and build into cute, yet subdued layered indie pop. Perfect snowy evening music.|
Youth Lagoon is Trevor Powers. He is 22. He's from Boise. He misses being a kid.
RIYL: Modest Mouse, The Antlers, The Postal Service, Rickolus
try: 2, 4, 7 (all tracks good)
1. (3:52) quiet, ambient start. thin distant vox. washy, warbly. drum machine & triumphant electric guitar melody 2 minutes in.
*2. (3:45) muffled circular keys. polite drum machine, beamy electric, moving harmonies. very pretty indie melody kicks in midway and vamps to end.
3. (4:10) delicate, mid-slow, music boxy. then: whistling and handclaps. layers on. snappy drum machine, melodic electric, cute backing vox.
*4. (3:56) solo keyboard. exposed vox. chariots-of-fire-ish. slow, bare, great flutey keys melody. padded drum machine midway in gives this a nice, lifty pop ending. "don't stop imagining / the day that you do is the day that you die."
5. (4:46) very quiet start (1 min). slow crooning, soft bells. gets grandiose: heavy piano, hangman tambourine. ends with bells.
6. (5:20) the most different track. warm sticky dance synth and bright electric guitar. high bellsy keys. great layered progression. sounds like dale earnhardt jr jr.
*7. (4:35) slow ethereal start. gloomy distant piano and fuzzy vox. then: cute effectsy bells and clanging, rattling tambourine pick up the pace. the last minute is desperately, achingly gorgeous.
8. (4:26) slow xylo. then: rudder bells and drum machine. wistful electric guitar runs, handclaps, harder vox. ends with powerful 'oh' vox and reverby guitar.