|Various Artists / Sing For Your Meat: A Tribute To Guided By Voices|
|Album:||Sing For Your Meat: A Tribute To Guided By Voices||Collection:||General|
|Label:||No More Fake Labels|
|Add Date:||2011-11-06||Pull Date:||2012-01-08|
|Week Ending:||1 Jan||18 Dec||11 Dec||4 Dec||27 Nov||20 Nov|
|1.||Feb 07, 2013:||Daydream Disaster |
Tractor Rape Chain
|4.||Dec 17, 2011:||Songs: Akran |
Stabbing A Star
|2.||Nov 30, 2012:||Daydream Disaster |
Everywhere With Helicopter
|5.||Dec 09, 2011:||James Hanley Demo |
A Salty Salute
|3.||Dec 28, 2011:||meow |
Man Called Aerodynamics
|6.||Dec 06, 2011:||Trainee Special |
Gleemer, Everywhere With Helicopter, Smothered In Hugs
17 covers of classic songs by Guided by Voices—hands down one of the greatest bands [of the 90s]. And certainly one of the most prolific. I could go on and on about them, but I won’t. You can try one of the ones I picked, play your favorite GBV song, or just go with any of them, they’re all good. But actually FCC: 8|
P.S. This is especially relevant because the GBV “Classic Lineup” recently reunited after a 2004 break-up and they have a new album slated for January 2012.
1. Midtempo. Epic guitar chords, male/female vocal interaction.
2. Thurston Moore in Sonic Youth mode. Messy and clanging.
*3. Elf Power. Bashed-out chords and muffled vocals. Energetic and well…powerful.
4. Live cover of the classic concert opener. Pretty true to the original.
5. Loud and punky.
6. Loud and aggressive but with an added piano line.
*7. It’s pretty much impossible to make a bad version of this song. This one by Lou Barlow is warm and muffled.
*8. FCC (shit) Strummy and harmonic.
9. Power chords galore with snarled male vocals
10. The Flaming Lips. Echoey and emotional.
*11. The most dramatic change on the album. What was once an E-string-popping basher has now been turned into a beautiful moving organ piece with gentle female vocals.
12. Fuzzy electronic with muffled vocals and a bit of “Einstein on the Beach” layering. Pretty dark.
13. Bouncing, jaunty. A bit of funk.
14. Slow and hella lo-fi.
*15. Beautiful. Acoustic guitar, perfect harmonies, orchestral accompaniment.
*16. Crunchy rock—pretty similar to the original.
*17. A twist of country. Great.