|To Destroy A City / To Destroy A City|
|Album:||To Destroy A City||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||To Destroy A City||Added:||11/2011|
|Add Date:||2012-01-16||Pull Date:||2012-03-19|
|Week Ending:||25 Mar||11 Mar||4 Mar||26 Feb||19 Feb||12 Feb||5 Feb||29 Jan|
|1.||Thu, 03 Jan 13:||miss information|
Top 100 Albums of 2012
|4.||Mon, 05 Mar 12:||Adam|
|2.||Thu, 07 Jun 12:||aj|
The Fall of Math
|5.||Sun, 04 Mar 12:||DJ Cat|
|3.||Sun, 18 Mar 12:||derrick|
no voices aloud
|6.||Fri, 02 Mar 12:||The Flying Dutchman|
There and Back Again
To Destroy a City's self-titled debut is a mixture of post-rock and ambiance of the kind. Atmospheric synths, soaring guitars, and live/electronic drum combos are layered together to build a coherent album that is hard to stop once you put it on. Instantly recalls mainstays of the post-rock genre, such as This Will Destroy You and Maserati. All instrumental tracks, with spoken word in track 3. FCC Clean.|
01. (2:55) * Metaphor: Piano and soft synth patches in a slow track to open the album. Very much in the vein of Sigur Ros.
02. (6:14) Narcotic Sea: Electronic drum machine and synth transitions suddenly to live sounds, with light keys providing the unifying melody.
03. (5:33) * Ilium: Opens with a haunting spoken performance of T.S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men", although it seems out of place, as the track itself is upbeat and hopeful. Slow fade out, with about 8 seconds of silence at the end.
04. (6:27) Philosophy of a Knife Fight: Layered guitars and keyboards featured on this reverb-soaked ambient track.
05. (6:24) Before the Outside's Gone: Moody and atmospheric, the last minute of the song slowly fades into oblivion.
06. (2:39) * The Marvels of Modern Civilization: Mostly electronic instrumentation, feels almost like techno. Reminds me of Maserati's music.
07. (7:02) * Goodbye, Dear Friend: What starts as a synth-driven stargaze changes abrubtly halfway through into a post-rock elegy overlayed with a musical box melody.
08. (4:00) March: Very faint synth for the first minute. Atmospheric.
|1.||Metaphor||5.||Before The Outside's Gone|
|2.||Narcotic Sea||6.||The Marvels Of Modern Civilization|
|3.||Ilium||7.||Goodbye, Dear Friend|
|4.||Philosophy Of A Knife||8.||March|