|Lekman, Jens / An Argument With Myself|
|Album:||An Argument With Myself||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2012-01-22||Pull Date:||2012-03-25|
|Week Ending:||4 Mar||12 Feb||5 Feb||29 Jan|
|1.||Tue, 28 Feb 12:||dj noname|
the gilded youth
|4.||Sat, 28 Jan 12:||glu|
Feral Pop Frenzy
|2.||Fri, 10 Feb 12:||awyeh|
|5.||Wed, 25 Jan 12:||Dr. Wormwood|
Modern Donkey - Songs about Places
|3.||Sun, 29 Jan 12:||Mir|
Jens Lekman / “An Argument with Myself” / Secretly Canadian|
Jens Lekman, the king of melancholy dance pop, returns with an EP of, well, melancholy dance pop. It’s pretty hard not to like this. As usual, each song tells a quite literal story of things he’s feeling, doing - mostly centered around locations, changing locations, returning to locations. Songs don’t seem quite as adorable as previous installments, lyrics are spoken a bit faster which makes it harder to follow his intricate stories. Not a bad track, but I don’t really hear a favorite. The first is classic upbeat/loony Jens, but has two FCCs. After that, really any could be played on air. Maybe #4 was the most ear-catching?
FCC on #1 - “fuck you” twice. Release claims clean version is included, but I didn’t hear/see it...
Favorite tracks: 4?
1. 3:49 FCC “fuck you” twice- Uptempo, strummed clean electric guitars, synths, ooohs, makes you want to dance. Literally a spoken argument with himself at one point, so cute, so Jens.
2. 3:47 Midtempo, starts with violins, clapping, about trying to see Kirsten Dunst in his Swedish hometown, dealing with culture clashes.
3. 4:35 Slightly slower, violins, piano, midtempo beat. Kind of cheesy sounding, but sort of endearing too.
4. *2:42 Begins with horns, somewhat frenetic talk/singing, catchy horn riff and female singers come in. Strange mix, but the closest thing to his history of catchy cute hooks. I think.
5. 2:59 Downtempo, synthy syncopated melody in background. A little moody, sad. Flutes, oohs, generally nice.
|1.||An Argument With Myself||3.||A Promise|
|2.||Waiting For Kirsten||4.||New Directions|
|5.||So This Guy At My Office|