|City And Horses, The / We Will Never Be Discovered|
|Album:||We Will Never Be Discovered||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||City And Horses, The||Added:||11/2011|
|Label:||Paper Garden Records|
|Add Date:||2012-01-22||Pull Date:||2012-03-25|
|Week Ending:||18 Mar||26 Feb||12 Feb||5 Feb|
|1.||Sun, 11 Mar 12:||Mir|
|4.||Wed, 01 Feb 12:||Alan|
|2.||Wed, 22 Feb 12:||aj|
The Fall of Math
|5.||Wed, 01 Feb 12:||Dr. Wormwood|
Modern Donkey - Nontraditional Song Structures
|3.||Fri, 10 Feb 12:||awyeh|
|6.||Sun, 29 Jan 12:||Mir|
The City and Horses / “We Will Never be Discovered” / Paper Garden Records|
Really loved this! These guys seem relatively unknown, and it’s a shame. Each song is quite different, and I can’t even relate them to anyone else. So helpful, I know. Male tenor voice, often doubled/harmonized, occasional female voice harmonizes, or duets (#4, 10), or takes lead (#8). Second half seems a bit more cookie cutter (or maybe I got used to it?) than first half, except a solid #7.
FCC #2 (“holy shit” twice)
Favorite tracks: 1, 2 (but FCC), 7, 8
1. *3:15 Borderline William Shatner-esque spoken verse, catchy sung verse, electric bass, horn & flute. Kinda 80s ish. Cool!
2. *3:33 FCC “holy shit” twice - damnit! Really liked this one. Pretty strummed guitars, downtempo but kinda sadly upbeat. Harmonized vocals throughout, really nice!
3. 1:56 Uptempo, strummed guitar, fun song about wearing war paint everywhere. Silly fun.
4. 3:48 Cute midtempo song about work romances, complaining about bosses. Duet with girl, adorably singing about “dip[ping] our pens in the company ink”, haaah.
5. 3:07 Downtempo, sad simple strummed guitar, pretty emo, but also solid simple song. Nice. Use of phrase “monastic creep”, heh.
6. 3:20 Uptempo, clapping, girl chorus interspersed. Sounds like a show tune, about getting older and meeting the girl of his dreams, drinking, doing drugs.
7. *3:51 Jangly rock, nicely talk/sung lyrics, borderline honky-tonk piano even thrown in. Builds nicely w/“oohs”. Great.
8. *3:09 Uptempo, quick piano pace, mid-range female singer, great voice, especially with “dum dee dums”. sounds a bit Regina Spektor-ish.
9. 2:48 Uptempo, male & female singing same thing at first, great song about a tall guy (“he can dunk on Kobe Bryant”).
10. 2:22 Slowish, guitars, duet with female, occasional flutes, simple, nice.
|1.||We Will Never Be Discovered||6.||With His Pen|
|2.||This Is Manhattan||7.||Nights Like These|
|3.||War Paint||8.||Dum Dee Dum|
|4.||The Company, Inc||9.||The Tallest Man In The World|
|5.||May I Love Someone Soon||10.||We've Said It Before|