|Valery Trails, The / Ghosts And Gravity|
|Album:||Ghosts And Gravity||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Valery Trails, The||Added:||01/2012|
|Add Date:||2012-02-05||Pull Date:||2012-04-08|
|Week Ending:||8 Apr||1 Apr||25 Mar||18 Mar||11 Mar||4 Mar||26 Feb||19 Feb|
|1.||Fri, 06 Apr 12:||Francis D|
|4.||Tue, 20 Mar 12:||DJ Cat|
|2.||Fri, 30 Mar 12:||Francis D|
|5.||Fri, 16 Mar 12:||Francis D|
|3.||Fri, 23 Mar 12:||Francis D|
|6.||Fri, 09 Mar 12:||Francis D|
“Ghosts and Gravity” The Valery Trails|
Aussie/American, guitar-driven, indie rock that represents an intercontinental collaboration. Guitarist Andrew Bower grew up in Brisbane, Australia, but moved to the U.S. in the late 1980s and currently resides in Houston, Texas. His brother, Sean, is the bassist in an Australian indie rock band. The music they created together ranges from moody to melodic within a sonically rich landscape, with relatively unpolished vocals. RIYL – Echo & the Bunnymen or even Midnight Oil, though less frantic than the latter.
Recommended: 2, 11, 4,1, 8 No FCCs detected.
1. (4:11) On the Perfume River – Mid-tempo. Clock-like rhythm. Floating male vocals over atmospheric instrumentation. **
2. (3:53) This Town – Straight-ahead rocker. Horns. Strong backbeat. Ramps to a hard-driving ending. ***
3. (3:40) Straight Line – Jangly guitar over a subdued opening. Hushed vocals. Builds over time.
4. (4:49) Horizon – Off-kilter rhythm. Soaring melody loops continuously over brooding, melancholy guitars. **
5. (4:33) Words Fail – Ringing bell-like guitar layered over thumping tom-toms and pulsing bass line.
6. (4:51) Ghosts and Gravity – Roaring, fuzz guitar. Ominous, almost spoken vocals at the start. Cymbals add rolling waves of sound.
7. (5:31) In the Sun – Sparse tune grows into a wall of sound.
8. (3:29) I See a Light – Driving, country-rock sound represents departure from the rest of the CD. Positive and upbeat. Not twangy; no slide guitars. **
9. (4:12) As I Live and Breathe – Jangly, dreamy almost trance-y. Guitar-driven lead breaks.
10. (3:03) Tonight I See – More of a folk-rock sound with acoustic as well as angular electric guitars. Nice harmonies backing lead vocals.
11. (4:42) Sparks – Uplifting melody. Nice pop hooks in an indie rock framework. Layered instrumentation. Most polished track on CD. ***
12. (3:46) (On the Needle of) These Days – Wall of sound washing over simple, circular male vocals.
|1.||On The Perfume River||7.||In The Sun|
|2.||This Town||8.||I See A Light|
|3.||Straight Line||9.||As I Live And Breathe|
|4.||Horizon||10.||Tonight I See|
|6.||Ghosts And Gravity||12.||(On The Needle Of) These Days|