LOCAL! Split between two long-time KZSU favorites, one based in the Bay and one in West Texas, both members of the Real Life Rock & Roll Band. Andrew and Blaine mix American folk styles with electronics, each ending up with different strands of hallucinatory desert blues. Heartbreaking songs, dreamy soundscapes, all slow burning and beautiful. Every song is magnificent, but 1, 4, 5, 8 are excellent starting places. Possible FCC on 6, can’t quite tell.
1. *(6:54)—Cassell Webb cover. Slow, gorgeous electric guitar and low auto-tuned vocals, synth drones. Some breathtaking moments here. Wow!!!
2. (10:27)—Slow acoustic guitar, meandering and melodic synth. Thick, expanding synth drones and pulses. Very slow kick drum.
3. (4:16)—Slow, gentle fingerpicking. Slightly sci-fi synth drone. Train sounds.
4. *(4:48)—Droning guitar textures, slide guitar. Epic and desolate. Marvelous harmonies. Tripped-out country blues. If this were placed in a movie it’d make a lot of people cry.
5. *(3:29)—Rippling bells. Intense drone wash, high and piercing. Dissonant, deep. Scary.
6. (2:52)—FCC (maybe, at least sounds like f***). Very slow, warped blues. Haunting, languid vocals. Shimmering organ.
7. (5:13)—Bright electric guitar strumming. Ghostly voices. Deep bass, synth drone, slide guitar. Second half sounds like Sparklehorse in the Southwest.
8. *(4:22)—Mid-tempo bluesy guitar fingerpicking. Majestic slide guitar solo. Downcast multitracked vocals.