The Return is the sophomore release by New Orleans musician Bênní. Describing himself as a ”new age impresario from the gulf coast,” Bênní’s second release continues the exploration of his first album by combining elements of B-movie horror score, 1980’s new age a la Windham Hill Records, and obscure vintage video game music. Instrumental music where not only the tempos fluctuate but the sounds themselves vary in amount and intensity. Trippy.
Something elese from the press release:
Benny Divine’s impressive musical CV includes quantities such as The Gary Wrong Group, Wizzard Sleeve and Nashville’s prolific purveyor’s of Foghat-pop, Natural Child, but it was just a short year ago that Goner (record Label) gave wide release to the Bênní debut album, I & II, which launched the new sub-genre we now know as “Hi-NRG New Age.”
RIYL: Vision Heat, Claudio Simenetti, Wendy Carlos & Rachel Elkind, Tangerine Dream and John Carpenter & Alan Howarth.
NO WORDS, NO FFCs.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9
1. (5:02) *The Return Pt. 1 – Slow tempo. Synths, more synths, drum beat and more synths. Halfway through the song there’s a very Herbie Hancock inspired synth solo. Entering the gate.
2. (3:55) Ancient Plains – Slow tempo recording. Synths a la Wendy Carlos. Atmospheric. Really old ancient landscapes.
3. (3:41) **The Maze – Medium tempo piece. Synths a la John Carpenter circa Christine soundtrack. Recurring dreams.
4. (0:55) Final Take-off – Sonic epilogue. Winds and sand.
5. (6:07) ***The Return Pt. 2 – Slow/medium tempo. Almost new age music. 48 seconds into the piece, a cool beat emerges follow by a robotic voice. Trippy.
6. (4:09) ***Dance of the Eridani – Medium tempo recording. Upbeat drum tempo. Nice synth riff, fervent electronic sounds. Dramatic.
7. (3:09) In the Shadows – Slow tempo piece. Synths a la John Carpenter circa Halloween soundtrack. Automatic nightmares.
8. (6:58) *Master's Dream – Slow tempo. Synths a la Tangerine Dream. Infected brightness.
9. (5:32) **End of Light – Medium tempo. A rhythmic beat, a robotic voice and atmospheric synths. Exiting the last gate.