Buried Inside – Chronoclast (Relapse)
Hardcore, metalcore, with some refreshing twists. Huge and melodic metalcore without sounding like everyone else. A concept record about time with tracks that really do work as one long track more than individual songs. Time as a construct for regulation of the capitalist economy. Well, at least one hardcore band isn’t singing about girls these days. The lyrics remind me a lot of Creation is Crucifixion. This reminds me a lot of local hardcore band Takaru with touches of Isis. For hardcore it’s very melodic guitar and the vocals are always screamed and for a twist, there is organ, violin, trumpet and piano thrown in a few places.
1. Dark, ominous beginning. Instrumental that stays slow but does get heavy.
**2. All hell breaks loose on this track. Speedy drums, melodic guitars, and lots of screaming. The drummer never lets up on this track.
3. Dark, down-tuned, clean intro that really does remind me of Isis. The track stays quiet and melodic and sounds like an intro to the next track
**4. Slow heavy guitars with the drummer going really fast. Eventually the singer starts screaming and the guitars play a nice hopeful melody. A couple minutes in they kick into a heavy chug. About 4 minutes in the track devolves to feedback and they come out of it with a heavy muted chug.
5. Pretty bass sounding instrument to begin then add pretty clean guitar after 30 seconds or so. The vocals eventually scream over this sparse sound. Halfway through the track does get heavy but stays slow and bombastic.
6. Bowed standup bass? Violin? Hard to place sounds for the first minute or so. Track stays classical and gothy sounding and it sounds like an intro to the next track.
**7. Fast at the beginning with loud sounding drums. One of the better guitar riffs on the CD. Also one of the heavier tracks.
**9. Heavy yet melodic guitars during the slow intro that builds into a heavy pummeling sound that again reminds me of Isis.
10. Quiet, down-tuned guitar into. The track does get heavy but stays very slow. The track speeds up with about 1:30 left at the same time it dissolves into noise to be pulled back to the pummeling sound right before the end.
Excellent stuff! -mph