MODERN BOP – Hot trombonist Bonilla has put together an excellent band of like-minded individuals for a strong, confident set that takes no prisoners. None of those wishy-washy, mopey-moody modern jazz tone poems here: even the ballads have balls! There’s also lots of evolution within the tunes, which rarely end where they began. Great stuff.
Luis Bonilla - trombone
Ivan Renta - saxophones
Arturo O'Farrill - piano
Andy McKee - bass
John Riley - drums
1. 6:52 – yow! hits fast and hard; speedy round of solos, then a fun swagger
2. 6:46 – goes from lumpy to steely to gliding… ideas almost cut each other off
3. 8:43 – gentle intro, then a firm, heavy stride; gets funky, then sneers & rolls
4. 5:56 – slow but sturdy ballad: very nice horn dialogue; tender piano
5. 8:48 – steady drums, dragging horns; a hard-edged walk, ready to pounce!
6. 5:34 – relaxed but rhythmically tricky: horns unite and break off, drift awayyy
7. 7:07 – bright, straightforward with a latin touch, solos swing nicely
8. 7:19 – easygoing, blooming ballad: electric piano gives it a 1970s feel