|Add Date:||2014-01-09|| ||Pull Date:||2014-03-13|| |
|Week Ending:||16 Mar||23 Feb||16 Feb||9 Feb||2 Feb||26 Jan||19 Jan|
Solo project of Gang Gang Dance member Brian DeGraw. Interesting fusion of electronic, pop, and psychedelic elements. All tracks are instrumental except where noted. For whatever reason some of the guest vocalist led songs fall flat compared to the purely instrumental tracks. Definitely a worthwhile listen though that makes me excited to hear what's coming next from Gang Gang Dance. Favorites: 1, 2, 4, 6, 9. FCC: 5|
RIYL: Gang Gang Dance, Doldrums, Prince Rama, Zomby
1. (4:56) *** Sample of meditation tape with tropical synths and piano in the background. Transitions into skittering hip-hop meets electro pop beat. Insane and massive. Transitions into next track.
2. (4:45) ** Female vox from lead singer of GGD. Detailed drums and hazy textures. Sounds like a GGD b-side (not that that's bad).
3. (7:49) Begins with looped vocal sample and synth ambience. Beat comes in at ~2 min. Male guest vocals and great percussion.
4. (3:12) ** Twitchy beat with frantic vocal samples and then looped female singing. Fun, energetic, song. Transitions into next track.
5. (7:02) FCC "fuck". Looney tunes textures that build into a club beat. Most overtly pop song on the album. Vocals from the guy in Hot Chip and refrain of "all I wanna do is fuck up the day". Transitions into next track.
6. (4:07) *** Off-kilter trap beat that almost sounds like Zomby. Cooing vocal samples. Darker, eerie vibe. Abrupt male voice with 30 seconds left and then an early fade out, so watch out for that. Best track?
7. (6:23) 80's-esque synths and guest female vocals. A little cheesy.
8. (1:02) Sounds like overhearing your neighbors having a party next door. Potentially good for a sound-bed.
9. (4:52) ** Great eccentric drums with trademark world-synths. Fades out into piano and whirring textures. Reviewed by Muscat