|Spencer Radcliffe & R.L. Kelly / Brown Horse|
|Add Date:||2014-12-12|| ||Pull Date:||2015-02-13|| |
|Week Ending:||8 Feb||1 Feb||25 Jan||18 Jan||11 Jan||4 Jan||28 Dec||21 Dec|
Spencer Radcliffe + R.L. Kelly / Brown Horse / Orchid Tapes |
This split has two similar parts, one by Spencer Radcliffe and the other by RL Kelly. Both are lo-fi heavyweights; Spencer Radcliffe’s Wet Pink Construction Paper Mask is of note, and RL Kelly hangs out with Alex G who is also great.
The first part has plenty of electronic noise, synths, bleeps, and bloops on top of the sparse and not-so-sparse acoustic guitar strums, melodies. mix of spoken word, harmonized, and regular vocals make it really special. turntable static separates the tracks
The second part has RL Kelly’s sleepy singsongy voice and her acoustic guitar melodies. I’m reminded of a record I listened to when I was little combining adventurous guitar melodies and didgeridoo drones that made me pretend I was on some glittering austrialian-huck finn adventure. So imagine that but without the didgeridoo.
RIYL: lo fi, glo fi, anything on orchid tapes, Why? on the first half a bit
Recommended tracks: ALL of them seriously. 3, 9, and 12 are my personal favorites from each suite and then the collaborative track with both artists, but it was adding the * to all of them before I realized what was going on.
1. (2:02) Lighthearted flute carries the melody over classic lo-fi tunes
2. (4:14) Chamber arrangement with vocals on vocals. Ricky eat acid style noise going on here too
3. (3:38)*** synthy arpeggios, spoken word make you smile “I said that’s dope”. infectious
4. (1:06) Rolling guitar, very pretty
5. (3:18) lo fi lullaby
6. (3:00) Loud strumming and climax
7. (2:08) warm sing-songy and harmonies. life affirming
8. (3:30) heavily layered symphony
9. (2:03)** feels like saturday morning
10. (2:22) that vaporwave sound and electronic drum beat with the glockenspiel. instrumental
11. (2:20) pretty shimmering piece
12. (2:40)** spencer and RL Kelly wrap it up with momentum and sound