|Add Date:||2016-07-04|| ||Pull Date:||2016-09-04|| |
|Week Ending:||28 Aug||21 Aug||7 Aug||31 Jul||24 Jul||17 Jul||10 Jul|
Confessional, subtly invigorating indie rock with distinctive vocals, compelling lyrical narratives, and the most unexpected dash of... R&B. Highly recommended.|
Similar to Speedy Ortiz, Alex G, Waxahatchee, Angel Olsen
Favorites: 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10
1. (3:40) ** Happy—Thudding aerial sounds at start, wistful somewhat spoken-word vocals outlining some allegory involving trains, happiness, and boys. Obsessive jazzy accents and repetitive kick drums. Cute 'n' fun
2. (2:26) Dan the Dancer—Fast-paced, starts out in mathy post-punk fashion. Gliding rainbow synths a minute in that remind me of Future Islands. Nice vocal stretches.
3. (3:01) *** Once More to See You—Slowcore/sadcore. Like Sharon Van Etten + Jesus and Mary Chain. Really pretty languorous vocals. "I felt the taste of you bubble up inside of me."
4. (2:38) Fireworks—Fast strummed acoustic guitar, clear and full vocals, resolute.
5. (3:32) *** Your Best American Girl—Vocal-driven, angsty, soft for first minute and a half and then brings in the pounding percussion and guitars. Seems like the counterpart to "Texas Reznikoff" from her previous album. The first single and with good reason.
6. (2:50) * I Bet on Losing Dogs—World-weary baroque pop. Nostalgic synths, background choruses, and vocal swells.
7. (1:57) My Body’s Made of Crushed Little Stars—Rough-hewn scratching guitars, unpolished, desperate.
8. (3:08) * Thursday Girl—Sultry R&B, shuffling beats, stand out vocals. Unexpectedly pleasant change of things. RIYL Sirius XMU-era The Weeknd
9. (1:32) A Loving Feeling—Up-tempo lo-fi punky guitar rock like Speedy Ortiz. "What do you do with a loving feeling if the loving feeling makes you all alone?"
10. (4:52) **** Crack Baby—Grand strings, drum machine, synth and electric guitar flourishes. Restrained. Aqueous drones and wind sounds in last minute.
11. (1:50) A Burning Hill—Just vocals and acoustic guitar. About observing a forest fire. "I am the fire and I am the forest and I am the witness watching it."