|Seconds, Allyson / Little World|
|Add Date:||2016-12-21|| ||Pull Date:||2017-02-22|| |
|Week Ending:||19 Feb||12 Feb||5 Feb||29 Jan||22 Jan||15 Jan||8 Jan||1 Jan|
“Little World” Allyson Seconds|
Indie psych-rock and power pop with a generous dose of California sunshine from Sacramento artist, Allyson Seconds. The songs are well written and produced by Anton Barbeau, who also performs as a multi-instrumentalist on the album. Other players include Allyson’s husband, Kevin, of the hardcore punk band, 7 Seconds; Colin Moulding of XTC; Kimberley Rew of Katrina & the Waves; Nick Saloman of Bevis Frond; and Karla Kane of The Corner Laughers. The melodies have a Beatles-like intricacy and feeling in places.
Recommended: 3, 1, 5, 7, 11, 8. FCC on Track 12.
1. (3:38) Little World – Rapid drumbox beat and pulsing fuzz bass. Electric piano. Harmonized lead vocals. Simple, toe-tapping melody. Scratchy guitar solo in lead break. ****
2. (3:15) Sun Don’t Shine – Helicopter effects open. Psychedelic trappings throughout, running counter to Seconds’ sweet vocals. Wall of fuzzy guitars. The Haight in the 1960s.
3. (4:04) Dust Beneath My Wings – Catchy, melodic tune. Layers of noise added to Wurlitzer organ, guitar and strings. Earnest vocals. Very Beatles-like here. ****
4. (3:49) Your Velvet Year – Smooth, soft and flowing with synth strings.
5. (4:11) Octagon – Sunny ballad. Harmonized lead vocals over electric piano. Crunchy guitar solo in lead break. ***
6. (4:21) Summer of Gold — Swaying, rolling melody. Shimmering Mellotron and organ.
7. (4:28) Great Blue Heron – Mysterious. Multiple musical layers including 12-string guitar, bouzouki, organ, and strings. Middle Eastern flavor in places. ***
8. (4:05) Eye Kinda – Disarmingly simple pop ditty. Tinkling piano. Smiling vocals. Big 12-string in lead break. ***
9. (2:39) Ono Waltz – Piano-based pop stylings with lilting vocals.
10. (2:09) Burning Burning – Short, shimmering melody. Whirling effects. Strummed acoustic guitar.
11. (3:14) Apples Are Falling – Stately tempo. Acoustic guitar throughout. Another Beatles-like tune. Weighty, but warm vocals. Trumpet solo in lead break. (You can hear the falling apples at the start — gravity in action.) ***
12. (0:43) Little World (Reprise) – Very brief flashback to opening track — fades in and fades out. FCC: “shit”